House History

House History – Oswald House, Church Street

    1738 Manorial Surveys The green/blue coloured section shows the bequest by Richard Clark in 1721. At foundation the scholars were 32. The master was paid £32 plus an allowance for coals. Later scholars were increased to 50, masters’s salary also £50. Later the schoolroom fell down and the church vestry was used. Mr. Thomas…

Windsor

Windsor is a small hamlet within Crowle, just off Windsor Lane. It is the derivation for the names of Windsor Road, Windsor Crescent and Windsor Lane itself. Before the construction of the houses on Windsor Road it was quite a distinct settlement from Crowle itself.   The small hamlet of Windsor is within the plot…

The Robinson Family and Tetley Hall

The Robinsons The earliest record of the Robinsons is in the Census of 1841 when John Robinson, a coal merchant born in Epworth in about 1776, was living with his wife Elizabeth (born in about 1780) at Crowle Wharf. The household also included John’s son George born in Hatfield in about 1810 and his wife,…

Snowdrop Villa, Wharf Road.

Snowdrop Villa, Wharf Road – Bill Goldthorp   Old Ordnance Survey Map overlaid over current aerial view. A. Snowdrop Villa. B. Fold yard and farm buildings. C. Stack Yard. This farm and much of its land disappeared under a housing development sometime in the 1980s. It was opposite numbers 44 and 46 Avondale, Wharf Road,…

Peat Moss Villas

On the deposited plans, dated 1865 and 1866 for two un-built railways Peat Moss Villas are described as being under construction in 1865 and partly occupied in 1866. Peat Moss Villas are mentioned in both the 1891 and 1901 Census. – details attached. The row of cottages is marked on the 1890 OS Map but…

George Stovin & Justice Hall Lane

George Stovin & Justice Hall Lane

According t the following article, Justice Hall was built in 1728 by George Stovin – the antiquary and was so named because he was a magistrate – this has nothing to do with the Manor of Crowle. A search of possible sources provides an answer in “Lincolnshire notes and queries, Volume 4” published in 1896. This…