Churches

Crowle Parish Church Archaeological Survey 2012

Summary A programme of archaeological recording was undertaken in 2010 at st Oswald’s Church Crowle during reordering works Pew platforms in the nave and north aisle were removed and replaced with flagstones flush with the existing floors. A kitchen area was installed at the west end of the north aisle. The font was moved from…

Crowle Church as described in The History and Topography of the Isle of Axholme, Stonehouse

Crowle Church as described in The History and Topography of the Isle of Axholme, Stonehouse

THE CHURCH, DEDICATED to St. Oswald, which is of Saxon origin, contains at the west end some remains of the original fabric. There is a very ancient doorway, formed by a large stone, resting on two other large stones, having on one side, some grotesque figures, carved in a very rude manner; and on the…

St Oswald’s Church, Archaeological Recording 2012

St Oswald’s Church, Crowle, North Lincs Archaeological Recording NGR: SE 9025 2552 N Lincs Museum Accn Code: CWCY Pa report no CRPCC01-PAL 2012/21 September 2012   Crowle Parish Church Archaeological Survey 2012 – Report Crowle Parish Church Archaeological Survey 2012 – Appendix 1 Crowle Parish Church Archaeological Survey 2012 – Appendix 2 Crowle Parish Church Archaeological…

Baptist Church

The Baptist community within Crowle is reputed to date back to 1599, making it one of the oldest Baptist congregations in the country. The current Chapel and attached school room were constructed in 1879 on the site of an earlier chapel, dating to the 1820s. This rebuilding coincided with the peak in Crowle’s prosperity. The…

Quaker Burial Ground

There was a Quaker burial ground just off Brewery Road. Its location is shown on the 1738 manorial plan. It would appear that it dates to 1697 when Thomas Wrestle of Winteringham surrended a plot of land, 20 yards square, to Thomas Wrestle, Junior, of Belton, Joseph Berrier and Robert Coakes for a Quaker burial…

Bourne Villa

Sales details from 1886 James Wilson appears to have been the first Miller; 1868 – Post Office Directory – Wilson James, Corn Miller 1872 – Whites Directory – Wilson Jas., Corn Miller. Steam mill & flour dealer. Cross Street 1885 – Whites Directory – Wilson James. Corn miller. Steam mill. It would appear that he…

Bourne Chapel – Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cross Street

The chapel and schoolroom were opened in 1862 an replaced an earlier chapel, set up in 1830, that had been located on Chapel Street. The chapel was in the following circuits at the dates indicated: Scotter Primitive Methodist Circuit 1830-1847 [Brigg Primitive Methodist Circuit 1831-1835] Epworth Primitive Methodist Circuit 1847-1877 Crowle Primitive Methodist Circuit 1877-1932…