COPY OF CROWLE CHURCH TERRIER, 1718, Being a Statement of the Property belonging to Crowle Church
This is transcribed from teh Epworth Bells dated 29th August & 5th September 1874
The following contains some interesting information as to Crowle Church, Vicarage, and Glebe lands, 156 years ago. The Document has been lent to us by a friend, to make such extracts from it as may be deemed desirable ; and believing that it will be preserved by some of our readers for years to come, we give the whole of it.
COPY OF CROWLE CHURCH TERRIER, 1718,
Being a Statement of the Property belonging to Crowle Church August 29th, 1874.
IN THE ABOVE-NAMED YEAR. CROWLE TERRlER.
Exhibited at the Bishop’s visitation holden at Gainsborough, on the 17th day of June, Anno D0m.1718, according to the directions given in charge to be observed by the Minister and Churchwardens, informing and drawing up their Terrier for ye better preserving the Rights of ye Church, are as followeth ;
Impr.—A Vicarage House. The materials whereof the walls consist are all of brick, the covering is entirely tiles. There are six rooms below stairs, whereof two are floored with board, one with flagg, one with plaster, and two with brick. There are also six chambers, one whereof is boarded, and all the rest plastered. As to the outhouses, they contain six bays of buildings, three of them in the barn, two in the stable, one in the cowhouse, besides two small hog’s cotes, and one outhouse, the walls of which are part of bricks and part of clay ; all the covering is thatch. The whole homestead contains about one acre of ground, abutting on Benjamin Ross and John Thompson south, with a fence of pails, and upon John Read and widow Isle’s son east, with a fence of hedge and ditch, and on the highway in all quarters not before mentioned, with fences of walls, pails, hedge, and ditch.
The Glebe Lands with the respective abuttings, are as followeth :
One close called Vicar Mear, containing six acres, lying between Robert Chapman south, the Town-field on the east and north, Mr. Morley on the west.
Item.—One close at Scelly Well, containing one acre, the heirs of Henry Butter east and north, Robert Chapman west, and Buett-Carr-Sewer on the south.
Item.—one close at Tax, containing six acres, the lands of Mr Moley west, the River Dun north, and William Hutchinson east.
Item.—One close at Hall Dales Lanes, containing five roods, the heirs of John Hosts on the west, Isaac Dunlin east, Mr. Clark north, and Hall Dales Lane south.
Item.—Half a rood called the Farthing, Mr. Gillyntt south, Robert Stephenson north.
Item—One dale lying in the open Inge called one rood and a half, Wm. Taffinder south, John Hutchinson’s heirs north, Tom Dike east, and Wm. Hutchinson west.
Item—One parcel of land called the Paddock, Green Gate east, Isaac Dunlin west, Clay Pita north, and North Gate on the south.
Item.—Three roods at Leases, Mr. Clark east and west, abutting on Ridge Bank north, and North Gate south.
Item.—Three roods of arable land in Crowle Field, Mr. Nuttall west, Win. Robson east, Ridge Bank north, and North Gate on the south.
Item.—Two roods of land, Matthies Stephenson ‘s heirs west, Ridge Bank north, and North Gate south.
Item.—Two roods of land, William Gillyott west, and Mr. Morley east, Ridge Bank north, and North Gate south.
Item.—Three roods lying over ye Cliff, Isaac Dunlin on the east, Pye’s heirs west, Millgate south, and North Gate north.
Item—One rood at Nudewell, Mr. Morley east and west, abutting on Mr. Clark south, and North Gate north.
Item. -Two roods at Dewgate Butts, Isaac Dunlin east, Mr. Clark west, abutting of Frances Mastin headland south.
Item—One rood and a half in ye Lowfield, Mr. Woreop south, and the heirs of Wm. Clark north, and Isaac Dunlin west.
Item—Two lands containing three roods, Edward Godfrey’s heirs north, Isaac Dunlin south and west, abutting of Mr. Gillyot east.
Item. —One rood, Isaac Dunlin west, and Mr. Morley north.
Item—A rood at Swarthfurs, Edward Wilson south, Fidling’s heirs north, abutting on the High Trod west.
Item—Two roods at Whitten-barge, Isaac Dunlin north and south, abutting on the Swarth Furs west.
Item.—Two roods at Gallow Tree, Thomas Foxtan west, and Gallow Hear east, abutting on Mr. Worsop north.
Item.—Three roods at Hollin Cliff, Mr. Gillyot south, and Mr. Clark north, abutting on the High Trod east, and Isaac Dunlin west.
Item.—Two roods at Bewitts, the heirs of Mr. Godfrey east, James Stovin west, abutting on the Middle Furlong north, and Harrison’s heirs south.
Item.—Two roods at Vicar Cross, Isaac Dunlin south, Mr. Clark north, abutting on Robert Harrison’s heirs east.
Item.—One rood, James Stovin, Gent., north and south, abutting on Wilf Close west.
Item —Two lands at Hall Meer, containing one acre and half a rood, Miles Williamson’s heirs north, John Collinson south, abutting upon the Harrows headland east.
Item—One acre over the Red Cliff, Isaac Dunlin east and west, abutting upon North Gate north, and Millgate south.
Iten.—Two roods on the south side Cliff, Richard Scutt east and west, abutting on Mr. Clark north, and Millgate south.
Item.—Two roods at the Almshouses, Newton’s heirs west.
Item.—Three lands on the Tauten, containing one acre.
Item.—One land containing half a rood, the Tenters north, and Wm. Fletcher west.
Item.—One rood at Haller Croft, Thomas Dixon’s heirs west, and Mary Barker’s heirs east, abutting on Cockhill north.
Item.—One rood and a half at Haller Croft, Anthony Smith’s heirs east, and Thomas Maw west, abutting on Isaac Dunlin north.
Item.—Half a rood at Tetley, James Stovin, Gent, north and south.
Item.—ln Ealand field, one rood at the Holms, Mark Margrave south, Stephenson’s heirs north, and John Sutt west.
Item—Half a rood abutting on Robert Ashton’s heirs east, Wm. Jieve west.
Item.—Two roods, Thomas Maw north, and Josiah Patton south, and Richard Seaton’s heirs west.
Item.—Three lands, Vicar leases, Joseph Potton’s heirs north, John Thompson’s heirs south, and Thos. Randall west.
Item—Three roods, the land of Grace Westbrook north, and Mr. Clark south, John Dunlin’s heirs east, and ye Common west.
Item.—One whole Moor Peat, James Stovin, Gent-, south, and Mark Margrave north. abutting on Belton Moor Causey east, and the Field Carr west.
1st.—The Incumbent is a Vicar, and by prescription is discharged from paying anything either to Church or Constable Assessments; and from being concerned in any common days’ works, and he hath all manner of Tythes there due in kind except Corn and Hay, where there is not any exemption to the contrary. But first, there are several Lands even to above half the town of Eastoft, within the parish of Crowle, viz. : a farm called Learn, and a parcel of ground called the Granes, belonging to his Grace ye Duke of Kingston, and some Freehold Estate in the said township of Eastoft belonging to Mr. Thos. Lister ; all which are plesended to be exempt from paying Tythes.
2nd.—Notwithstanding, there are several prescriptions acknowledged to belong to the farm of Leam, and to the Freehold Estate belonging to Mr. Thos. Lister, viz.: a yearly modus of threepence a house to the Vicar, and eightpence a house to the Parish Clerk for the dwelling-house thereon standing, and also a modus of one penny a Cow in lieu of Tythe Milk, and an halfpenny for every Calf, and a penny for every Foal, and two-pence fur offerings yearly fur every Inhabitant above ye age of sixteen years.
3rd.—There are several Customs also belonging to the Parishioners in general in payment of some Tythes and Offerings, and thus the Incumbent is to have Piggs, Geese, Chickens, Ducks and Turkeys, one at seven, making no allowance to the parishioners or any number above seven to ten. Nor are the parishioners to make any allowance for any number under five, only in Tything Lambes there is due to the Incumbent four-pence for every odd Lamb under five, and the parishioners are to have of the incumbrance four pence for every odd Lamb above seven to ten. There is also due to the Incumbent a yearly modus of a penny a Cow in lieu of Tythe milk, and a half penny for every Calf, and a penny for every Foal, and three pence yearly for every Messuage House, and one penny half penny for every Cottage House, and the latter sum of one penny half penny for every inmate’s Dwelling-Tythes. Eggs are due and payable on Good Friday, after the rate of two eggs fur every hen.
4th.—The Surplus fees according to the Ancient Custom of the parish are as followeth, viz.: for Offerings, two-pence for every person above the age of sixteen years, for every Christening six pence, for every Churching two pence, for every Marriage without Lycence twelvepence, and with a Lycence five shillings ; for every Burial one penney, and for Mortuaries according to the laws of this Kingdom.
5th.—Pensions charged on the Vicarage are as followeth, viz.: to the Crown twenty nine shillings yearly for Tenths to the Bishop, two shillings fur Procuration at his Visitations to the Arch Deacon, one shilling and nine pence for Procurations, and ten pence yearly for Synods, and to the Lord of the Manor fourteen shillings yearly.
6th.—Furniture in the Church and Chancel are as followeth, viz.: Three Bells, one Clock, one large folio Bible of the last translation, two large folio Common Prayer Books with the thirty nine articles of religion, and Canons Ecclesiastical therein ; one book of Homilies, one table of the Degrees of Marriage Prohibition, one Reading Desk, one Font of Stone with a Cover, one Pulpit with a Canopy set up in the Church ; two Surpluses with one Hood, one Pulpit Cloth and Cushion, one Bier, one Hierse Cloth, five Regester Books of Christenings, Buryings, &c., two books for Church Wardens’ assessments and accounts, one book for entering of Briefs, Excommunications, Absolutions, &c.; one book for entering Acquittances for brief money, utensils for the Communion, one Table, two Carpets, one Table Cloth, three Napkins, two Pewter Platters, one Pewter Bason for alms, one Pewter Flaggon: one Silver Chalice with a Cover of Silver, both which weighed ten ounces and half a quarter, and were bought in ye year 1663 ; one great chest wherein are contained these books and utensils with three locks and keys belonging thereto.
7th.—There are no lands or Money in Stock for the repairs of ye Church or utensils, but yearly assessments are laid in the pariah for the said uses as need requires.
8th.—As to the Repairs of the Edifice and Churchyard fnce, being partly brick and part stone and three gates and one stile, the two towns of Crowle & Eastoft are concerned in them, each knowing their own parts:
9th.—The parish Clerk and Sexton are both of them elected by the Vicar and ; maintained by the parishioners with their acustomary dues as followeth, viz.: the Clerk hath due to him at every Easter eight pence for every Messuage house, and four pence for every Cottage house within the parish, six pence for every Burial, six pence for every Marriage by Banns, and two shillings and six pence for Marriage by Licence ; and twenty shillings a year for keeping ye Clock, to be paid quarterly, and twenty shillings every Easter for Registering all the Christenings, Marriages & Burials within ye said parish, paid ‘by the Church Wardens for the year past. The Sexton bath due to him for every Marriage by Banns two pence, and for every Marriage by Licence sixpence, for every Christening two pence, for every Burial in the chancel two shillings and ten-pence, and for every Burial in the Church two shillings and fourpence, and for every person buried in the Churchyard under five years of age that is coffind one shilling, and when not coffind eight pence, and for every other person buried there and coffind sixteen pence, and when not coffind ten pence. And he bath further fifteen shillings with some Candles for ringing the Curfue Bell from Michaelmas day until Lady day, and he bath every Christmas to Easter what the parishioners please to give him for keeping the Church clean.
As to cases of Chapples, there has been one at Eaatoft, part of which town is in the parish of Adlingfieet and County of York, the other part is in the County and Diocese of Lincoln & parish of Crowle where the Chappel did stand, where there is nothing left but the Font and the remains of some old timber. It has always been repaired by both parts of the town. but in ye year 1714 by reason of a strong wind it was blown down to the ground, and so remains. There is nothing towards ye rebuilding of the said Chappel but what they equally raise amongst themselves by assessments.
We are indebted to Ir. F. Chapman, Registrar, of Crowle, for the loan of the original copy from which the foregoing is taken—which copy may be seen by applying to him.