January 20, 2013

Cross Keys, Market Place

By Angus Townley

Closed – 1999 Converted into offices


Nathaniel Brunyee was responsible for rebuilding the Cross Keys Hotel in 1832. His son Samuel Cornelius Brunyee was a wealthy farmer who lived at Sand Hall and, according to the 1881 census, farmed 1100
He inherited the Cross Keys Hotel when his father died. He, himself, died at the age of 43 in 1893. The pub remained in Brunyee ownership until it was sold by auction in 1920.

J. Vause - Porter Bottle

J. Vause – Porter Bottle


Mare - James Mell - Cross Keys Stamford Mercury Friday 24 February 183

Mare – James Mell – Cross Keys
Stamford Mercury
Friday 24 February 183


J. Vause. Porter Bottle

J. Vause. Porter Bottle


1872 John Brunyee, Tickhill (Register of licences)
???? Samuel Cornelius Brunyee, Sand Hall, Crowle (Register of licences)
1892 [The executors of] Samuel Cornelius Brunyee, Sand Hall, Crowle
1903 S. C. Brunyee’s Trustees, Crowle
???? (Leased to The New Trent Brewery Co)
???? (The Barnsley Brewery Co)
???? John Fox & Sons Crowle

Licensees – as listed in the Register of Licences granted in the Western Division Hundred of Manley in the parts of Lindsey in the County of Lincoln [1872 to circa 1940]

Licensed Premises Licensee Date of Transfer
Cross Keys John Forster 6 Sep 1872
Cross Keys Moses Furniss 28 May 1875
Cross Keys Henry Hill 14 Jan 1892
Cross Keys Francis Charles Lucop 10 May 1894
Cross Keys Joanathan Coakes 9 May 1895
Cross Keys John E Richardson 14 Jan 1897
Cross Keys William Thomas Barker 4 Oct 1900
Cross Keys John Ogle 5 Jul 1906
Cross Keys James Shannon 13 Feb 1908
Cross Keys William Johnson Oughtibridge 10 Feb 1910
Cross Keys Annie Briggs 6 Feb 1913
Cross Keys Arthur Pashley 10 Jul 1925
Cross Keys John Bertie Bluff 12 Nov 1925
Cross Keys Anthony Frank Slack 12 Sep 1929
Cross Keys Reuben Maw 7 May 1931
Cross Keys William Balding 11 Jul 1935
Cross Keys Frederick Somerset 9 May 1940


Trade Directories

1828 Thomas Pycott (Pigot & Co Directory of Lincolnshire, 1828)
1835 James Mell (Pigot & Co Directory of Lincolnshire, 1835)
1841 James Mell – Innkeeper (1841 Census)
1841 James Mell (Pigot & Co Directory of Lincolnshire, 1841)
1851 James Mell – Innkeeper (1851 Census)
1856 John Vause (Crowle Directory, 1856)
1861 John Vause – Innkeeper (1861 Census)
1861 John Vause, Sen (Post Office Directory of Lincolnshire, 1861)
1868 John Forster (Post Office Directory of Lincolnshire, 1868)
1871 John Forster – Hotel Keeper (1871 Census)
1872 John Forster (White’s History, Gazetteer & Directory of Lincolnshire, 1872)
1875 Moses Furniss – Temporary License granted (Lincolnshire Chronicle – Friday 21 May 1875)
1881 Moses Furniss – Innkeeper (1881 Census)
1885 Moses Furniss (Kelly’s Directory of Lincolnshire, 1885)
1889 Moses Furniss (Kelly’s Directory of Lincolnshire, 1889)
1891 Moses Furniss – Hotel Keeper (1891 Census)
1896 Jonathan Coates ( Kelly’s Directory of Lincolnshire)
1901 William Thomas Barker – Hotel Proprietor (1901 Census)
1905 (Kelly’s Directory of Lincolnshire)
1906 John Ogle, Cross Keys, Crowle, was fined 10/- and costs 4/6 for selling gin adulterated to the extent of 2 degrees below the legal limit, on the 21st November. Defendant stated that it was old stock, and he considered evaporation was the cause. (Epworth Bells Jan 5th 1907)
1909 James Shannon (Kelly’s Directory of Lincolnshire)
1911 William Johnson Oughtibridge – Hotel Keeper (1911 Census)
1913 Annie Briggs (Mrs) (Kelly’s Directory of Lincolnshire)
1919 Annie Briggs (Mrs) (Kelly’s Directory of Lincolnshire)

1966 Carnaby (Avril Turner Project)

1910 Tax Assessment Report;
Occupier: A Briggs – From 13 May 1906 late W J Oughtibridge
Owner: Nathaniel Brunyee
Particulars: Good commercial hotel with food trade situated in the Market Place in fair condition.
Description of Buildings:
Ground floor: Commercial Room, Smoke Room, Tap Room
1st floor: Sitting Room, Club Room, 2 Beds, Bath Room, Lavatory
2nd floor: 6 Beds
Outside: Wash kitchen, Stabling for 3+2 Horses, Billiard Room (not used over)

Listed Building Designation

SE 7612-7712 CROWLE MARKET PLACE (north side)
17/51 No 10 (The Cross Keys Inn)
Inn. C18 origins, rebuilt 1832. Brown brick in Flemish bond, rendered to left return. Concrete tile roof. L-shaped on plan: double-depth main range has 2-room, central entrance-hall front with former passage to left now a room; single-room wing to rear right. 3 storeys, 4 bays, with wide bay to left. Rounded angle to right. Entrance to third bay has 2 steps to 6-beaded-panel door and plain overlight in ribbed reveal and roll-moulded architrave beneath keyed and channelled wedge lintel. Slightly recessed 16-pane ground-floor sashes with painted ashlar sills and similar lintels, the window to left inserted in blocked former carriage opening with raised stone tablet above inscribed: Rebuilt 1832
Similar 16-pane first-floor sashes, unequal 9-pane second-floor sashes in similar surrounds. Moulded wooden eaves board. Hipped roof. Right return, facing High Street, has single 9-pane sashes to first and second floor of main range, and a pair ground-floor sashes and single first-floor sash with glazing bars to rear wing. Interior: open-well staircase with ramped grip handrail, turned newel posts and plain stick balusters; moulded cornices to ground floor.
Listing NGR: SE7730612833


Cross Keys Advert - Crowle Advertiser 1881 Nov 19

Cross Keys Advert – Crowle Advertiser 1881 Nov 19