Roads

Godnow Road

According to “The Isle of Axholme – Its place-names and river-names, John K Johnstone, 1886.” Godney Bridge, near Crowle. Godn is a contracted form of the personal name Goodwin, and the suffix ey means and island, sometimes the water which surrounded the island. On old maps the area around Godnow is shown as Godknow –…

George Stovin & Justice Hall Lane

George Stovin & Justice Hall Lane

According t the following article, Justice Hall was built in 1728 by George Stovin – the antiquary and was so named because he was a magistrate – this has nothing to do with the Manor of Crowle. A search of possible sources provides an answer in “Lincolnshire notes and queries, Volume 4” published in 1896. This…

Crowle High Street

Crowle High Street at its junction with Potts Lane Crowle High Street at its junction with Godnow Road Crowle High Street near Chafors Crowle High Street looking towards Chrch Street High Street looking from Church Street High Street at its junction with Cross Street High Street looking towards junction with Cross Street Windsor Road looking…