Crowle Community Forum
Crowle Advertiser


1917 Jan 6th
Alfred E Clark, insurance agent, of Misterton, was charged with carrying a camera, and failing to produce a permit, at Owston, on December 5th. Pc Hallam said he saw the defendant at Owston Ferry on December 5th. with a camera strapped to a cycle. Witness asked him if he had taken any photographs of Owston, and he said he had not, but was going on to Epworth to take some photographs of a child. He had not a permit, but he allowed him to go to Epworth on condition that he reported himself at the Epworth Police Station. He asked him to show him his camera, but he said he would rather not do so as he was pressed for time. – Inspector Weston said the man did not call at the Police Station until the following day, and then said he was not carrying a lens at the time he was stopped. Witness told him he would probably have been arrested if he had not been well known to the constable. Defendant said he was sorry he had broken the regulations in ignorance. He had resided in the district for many years, and was a native of Retford. He had been rejected for the Army. – Fined 7/6.

1917 Jan 20th
Charles Malia, of Luddington, was fined 5/- for using obscene language, at Luddington, on January 6th.

Ada Smith, of Epworth, was charged with riding a cycle without lights, at Belton, at 8.50 p.m., on January 10th. – Fined 7/6.

Henry Barlow, of Epworth, was charged with failing to report himself for the Army. – Inspector Weston said he arrested the defendant on Wednesday, when he admitted having received his calling up papers, and having sent them back…..

Matthew W Tune, of Burnham, was charged with taking possession of a stray dog and failing forthwith to give notice to the police. – Tune asked that one of the magistrates, who, he said, was opposed to him, should retire. The Chairman said he did not know to whom he referred, but it had no bearing on this case, and ignored the request. Pc Hallam stated that on January 2nd he called at Tune’s house, and asked him if he had a stray dog. He replied that he had one, and had written to a person at Owston, who had lost one. Defendant told him he did not send the dog over by the boy as he thought they would perhaps not give him the 10/- reward. Witness took possession of the dog, and asked the defendant why he had not reported it to the police. He said he had it three weeks, and if it was not claimed he should destroy it. –Tune now stated that on December 14th, a black dog was taken to his place by a man named Barker, who said it belonged to Camp Bros., of Epworth. He afterwards found it did not belong to them, and he later saw Mr Guest’s advertisement, and concluded that it belonged to him. – A fine of 10/- was imposed. Defendant: It is a scandalous shame! What is the alternative? The Chairman: Stand down. Coming up again, the Inspector said Tune had 6/- in his possession, which they could take possession of. The Chairman suggested they keep 5/- of it, and the balance paid later. Tune then said he should not pay, and asked what was the alternative. The Chairman: Not prison. A distress warrant. Tune: I will pay then. Here is a note.

1917 Feb 3rd
Sam Leonard, of Keadby, was charged with wilful damage to a duck, the property of David Milner, at Keadby, on Nov 26th. Defendant is a keelman, and wrote asking for an adjournment of 14 days, which was granted, he having to pay Mr Milner’s expenses in consequence of this. [see Feb 17th and Mar 3rd

John Crompton, of Haxey, was charged with stealing a quantity of cut oats, value 20/-, the property of T Barlow’s Exors., at Haxey, on January 20th. George Pettinger, of Haxey, was charged with receiving the same, knowing it to have been stolen. George Kershaw, the foreman, said Crompton was a horseman employed by Barlow’s Exors., and had no authority to supply chop to any person. – Pc Hallam stated that on January 3rd he noticed cut oats scattered on the road near Pettinger’s premises. He traced them to Pettinger’s yard, and saw a bag of cut oats on a dray, and took a sample from it. At 10 o’clock the same night he saw Pettinger carry it from the dray into the stable. On January 17th he saw another bag of cut oats on the same dray in the shed. On January 20th, at 7p.m., he saw Crompton go into Pettinger’s premises, and afterwards go home. At 7.30 he saw Crompton carrying the bag of oat chop from Barlow’s premises, and go into Pettinger’s yard. He came out without it, and witness saw it in the same place as the others. At 10.30p.m. he saw Pettinger go to the bag, and witness went to him and asked what he had done with it, he replied; “I have not seen it.” Witness then took the oat chop to Crompton and told him what he had seen. He replied, “I hope you will not say anything about it. Pettinger asked me for a bit of chop as he had not anything for his horse. It is the first time.” The chop was the same as that allowed Crompton for feeding his horses. Crompton said: “I have taken Pettinger 1 ½ to 2 bags per week since Christmas. We have an understanding. He brings our groceries from Doncaster and I find him a bit of chop.” Crompton pleaded guilty, and Pettinger pleaded not guilty.

Crompton was fined £2, and Pettinger was fined £3, the Bench being of the opinion that the receiver was more to blame than the thief. – The Bench congratulated Pc Hallam upon his smart work in the case. He had been very clever, and Inspector Weston was instructed to forward this to the Chief Constable.

1917 Feb 17th
A warrant was issued against Sam Leonard, a boatman, who failed to appear in answer to a charge of wilful damage to a duck belonging to David Milner, of Keadby, on November 26th. [See Feb 3rd and Mar 3rd]

Frederick Ingham, of Luddington, was charged with not having his dog under proper control………. Ronald Tonge, of Eastoft, was charged with cycling without a light………. George Gell, of Belton, was charged with cycling without a light………. Belton Shipley, of Derrythorpe, was fined 10/- for cycling without a light………. Frederick Swash, of Tunnel Pit, was charged with cycling without a rear light.

1917 Mar 3rd
On Shrove Tuesday, Mrs R W Wroot, of Eastoft, distributed oranges to the school children of the village, each child receiving two.

Attention, please! What is a Basilisk? Yes, what is it? Well come to the Palace-de-Luxe, Crowle, on Saturday night, and see for yourself. It is great! Twice nightly, 7 and 9. Dancing and Pictures on Monday as usual.

The other day an old-age pensioner in this district, who was considerably over 70 years of age, pleaded in the most pathetic voice – “Ye knaw I’ve nobbody belonging to me, I’ve noa faither, and I’ve noa muther.” The committee wondered what age these patriarchs would have been if still living, and to what extent they might have been able to provide for their juvenile son.

1917 Mar 3rd
Albert Qualter, of Owston, was charged with using obscene language, at Owston, on February 13th. PC Walker said it was a dark night, and the defendant knocked against him, and as a consequence used very bad language…..

John J Wilson, of Epworth, was charged with cycling without a light………. William Goodall, Eastoft, was charged with driving without two white headlights………. Annie Richardson, of Sandtoft, was charged with cycling without a rear red light………. William Henry Morris, of Westwoodside, was charged with failing to shade a paraffin lamp on his premises, on February 18th, at 10p.m………. Chesman Kelsey, of West Butterwick, was charged with a similar offence………. James Whitehead, of Graizelound, was fined 5/- for failing to shade an indoor light at 9p.m., on February 20th.

Sam Leonard, a boatman, was charged with doing wilful damage to a drake, the property of David Milner, of Keadby, on November 26th. Complainant stated that he heard the report of a gun from the canal, and on looking saw a man walking on the bank, and then cross a bridge leading to the complainant’s land., pick something up and throw it on to the canal bank. Complainant said defendant said he had gone upon the land for a few turnips. Complainant afterwards went to see what defendant had thrown on the bank, and found it was a drake. Complainant then followed him, and saw him pick up a gun, run away, and get into a small boat and proceed to a larger boat lying in the canal. Inspector Elviss said on November 28th he saw defendant in the canal at Crowle, and accused him of shooting the drake, which he denied, stating that he had no gun, and witness could search the keel. – Pc Dawson said he was present when the complainant accused the defendant of shooting the duck. – Defendant (on oath) said he was never off his vessel, and had not a gun. There were other vessels in the canal that day. – The Chairman said they believed the defence was pure invention, and a fine of 10/-, with 15/- witness expenses, and 7/6 damage to the duck was imposed. [see Feb 3rd and Feb 17th]

1917 Mar 17th
Frederick Coy, of Amcotts, was fined 6/- for keeping a dog without a licence. – Pc Dawson said the man was using his shepherd dog for rabbitting. It was illegal to use an exempted dog for rabbitting. – Mr Belton said the defendant, who was his foreman, had erred in ignorance.

W S Clark, of Epworth, was fined 7/6 for failing to shade a lantern in his yard………. Arthur Cook, of Eastoft, was fined 7/6 for failing to shade an acetylene lamp, at 9.30 on February 24th. Pc Conyard said the man said he had cleared the shade as it was a foggy night………. Richard Longhorn, of Eastoft, was fined 7/6 for a similar offence………. William Maw, of Wroot, was fined 10/- for keeping his dog without a licence………. Zaccheus Till, of Epworth, was fined 10/- for cycling without lights………. Charles Barrass, a keelman, was fined 10/- for being drunk and disorderly at Keadby on February 27th.

John W Taylor, of Westwoodside, was charged with failing to bury a carcass of a calf on February 27th. – Pc Hallam said he saw the carcass in a dyke near defendant’s land, and which was causing a nasty smell. He spoke to Taylor about it, and he said it died last Autumn, but he did not expect that any of it would be left now…..

George Pettinger, of Westwoodside, was charged with stealing an iron stable rack, value 10/-, the property of J Clarke, at Westwoodside, on February 12th. _ A witness said he helped to clear away some doors, the iron rack, etc – George Jaques, the late owner of the property, said he instructed the man to clear away all the rubbish, and it was a mistake if he took the rack. The case was dismissed.

Benjamin Sykes, of Crowle, was charged with stealing 2 ¼ lbs. of beef, value 2/6, the property of David Pacy, at Crowle, on March 9th. – Mrs Pacy stated that the defendant went into their shop on March 9th at 9.15p.m., and said he wanted some meat. She told him she could not serve him as it was after time. She was in the house, and on going into the shop she saw him outside, and putting something under his coat. She noticed that a piece of meat was missing. The meat produced was a portion of the piece that was missing. – Inspector Elviss stated that on March 9th he received a complaint, and on the 10th inst., visited Sykes’ house and recovered the piece of meat produced. He then went to Sykes at his work, and examined his dinner, which consisted of two slices of beef, which he said had been supplied to him by Mrs Pacy. He afterwards admitted taking it from the shop, and said, “If I had been waited upon I should not have taken it.” – Defendant now stated that he was at work until 7.30, and as he had not any food, went to the shop. If she had served him, he should not have taken it. – The Chairman said he had spoken the truth this time, but as his work was necessary on the land, he would be fined £1, and a months time for payment allowed, and costs 3/-.

1917 Mar 31st
Private Cyril Milner, son of Mr H Milner, Belton, is in a Red Cross Hospital. He has had one leg amputated, and has14 shrapnel wounds in the other, but has written home very cheerfully and hopefully.

Mr J J Cranidge presided over the meeting of the Thorne Board of Guardians on Wednesday, when the Clerk reported that the committee on rations had arranged that the Food Controller’s scheme was adopted as to officers, with seven eggs instead of three. Inmates to have 4 lbs. of bread instead of 10lbs., with 7lbs of oatmeal and rice substituted; tea reduced from pint to half-pint, meat 2 ½ lbs, children 1 lb. With extra pudding, sugar as present. Bread, children, 4 lbs; vagrants as per scale, with extra porridge and rice.

1917 Apr 28th
Charles Spencer, of Luddington, was charged with keeping a dog without a licence. – Pc Conyard said the man was keeping two dogs with one licence – Fined 7/6……..Thomas Emerson, of Luddington, was fined 7/6 for a similar offence.

Kate McHugh, of Luddington, was fined 5/- for not sending her child, aged 12, to school, it having made 11 out of 75 attendances.

The case against Kate Dale, of Luddington, for non attendance of her child at school, was adjourned for a month for report as to the future attendance, the defendant having lost her husband in France.

Annie Malia, of Luddington, was fined 5/- for not sending her child, aged 11, to school…… Mary O’Brien, of Luddington, was fined 5/- for a similar offence.

John Chambers, of Crowle, was fined 5/- for not sending his boy, aged 12, to school, he having made 3 out of 82 attendances.

Mary Jane Lamming, of Keadby, applied for an ejectment order against Fred Smith, who refused to give up possession of a house belonging to her. Mr Capes (for applicant) said that this was not a case to be protected by the Protection of Tenants Act, as there were dates upon which the tenant had been most objectionable, and had used abusive language. He did not keep the blinds in proper order. He had been a tenant for nine years, and was a monthly tenant…… Applicant said the tenant had lighted fires in the yard, which were dangerous and annoying. – Sarah Lizzie Lamming, the daughter, said that on March 7th Smith went to the house and said he wanted a key for the pump, and used bad language. – Mrs Isatt said Smith always came to Mrs Lamming’s house in a defiant manner, and upset Mrs Lamming and her daughter who were terribly afraid of him. – Mrs L Firth said she heard Smith admit pulling out the staple of the pump. – Mr Cundall (for tenant) submitted that this was purely a case of spite. The root of the trouble was a public apology made by Mrs Lamming to Mrs Phillipson, and there was no good ground for granting an ejectment…… The Bench decided to dismiss the application at this point.

1917 May 5th
The Women’s Unionist Association have received letters from the following soldiers to whom they have sent parcels:

Private W H Staniforth writes: Many thanks for the parcel received. It is splendid of you to remember me, and I appreciate this kindness very much. All the things you have sent me are welcome and useful, – just what one appreciates on a job like ours in this out-of-the-way part of the world.

Lance Corporal J McDonough says: Many thanks for your parcel. The articles came in very useful, especially the towel and socks.

Private G W Coy states: Just a few lines to express my sincere thanks for the parcel I have received. The contents were most useful, and it is a real pleasure to have someone at home thinking of the boys out here, as we really enjoy every little thing that comes from dear Old Blighty. We had a rather good time lately, but we may have it very hot after a bit. I am hoping that the war will end this year and we shall then be taken off our storm-tossed path and walk together again on the path of freedom.

Private Harry Cranidge writes: I received the parcel a few days back. All the contents were nice and useful. Please accept my best thanks for same. Am pleased to say I am OK, and not doing so bad.

Private R W Bassindale says: I have great pleasure in acknowledging the lovely parcel you sent me, and thank you very much for the same.

Private S Hicks writes: Please accept my sincere thanks for the very nice parcel I received. I can assure you that it cam as a very pleasant surprise to me, and is appreciated very much. I was soon having a good old Blighty smoke, and that is one of the things Tommy relishes most. At the time the parcel was handed to me we were having a sing-song, and had the “Telephonist Band” (which is a tin whistle) on the go. At the present we are in very comfortable billets, and having a fairly good time, but I expect we shall have plenty to do before long.

1917 May 12th
Charles Richards, of Scunthorpe (a native of Penzance), was charged with stealing a hatchet, cycle lamp, carrier, bell, oil tin, and razor, value 11/-, the property of Agnes McDonough, at Crowle, on April 28th.

Complainant stated that she was a servant at the Cross Keys Hotel, Crowle. On April 28th, she saw prisoner in the tap room between 7 and 8. She went at 8pm to fasten up the outbuildings, and everything then appeared to be alright. The next morning she found the hatchet missing from the coal-house, and afterwards noticed the articles missing from her cycle, which was in the bottle house. Prisoner was not the worse for drink.

Inspector Elviss stated that he went over to Scunthorpe on May 1st, and saw prisoner at work there. He admitted being at Crowle on April 28th, but denied all knowledge of the missing articles. He arrested him, and then visited his lodgings, where he discovered the pump, oil tin, and razor, in the false roof of the coal house. The carrier he found two miles away in a disused pit on Winterton road, and the hatchet head in a rabbit hole in an ironstone pit. He brought prisoner to Crowle, and charged him with the offence. He replied: “I admit I did take them; it was through drink. Do the best you can for me.”

Prisoner pleaded guilty, and asked to be dealt with summarily. He stated that he went to Crowle with a message, and met a friend, to whom he lent 2/6, and had a drink out of his bottle, and did not remember anything afterwards. He had 26/- when he left his lodgings, and had only 6½ d when he returned.

Inspector Weston, said that according to the man’s fingerprints he had previously been convicted for theft. He was born in Penzance in 1887.

The Chairman: How old are you? Prisoner: Forty three. The Chairman: I think not. You will be committed for three weeks, and I shall advise the military authorities to secure you for the army, as you are only 30.

Inspector Weston: He is wanted on another charge at Scunthorpe.

1917 May 12th
Temporary authority was granted to James Cowling, to sell at the Blue Bell Hotel, Luddington

The licence of the Ferry Boat Inn, West Butterwick, was transferred to R Garthwaite, and that of the Reindeer Inn, Sandtoft, to Edith A Featon.

Richard Shipley, of Eastoft, was charged with keeping a dog without a licence.

Lucy Fulford, manageress of the Red Lion Hotel, Epworth, was charged with failing to shade a light in the small bar. – Pc Hencher said he had on several previous occasions complained to this person. – Fined 10/-.

William Hunsley, of Crowle, was charged with riding a cycle without a light, at Crowle, at 9 15pm, on April 28th, on Wharf Road.

The case of Robert Stones, of Keadby, for unlawfully selling potatoes above the regulation price was adjourned, owing to a bereavement in the defendant’s family.

1917 May 26th
John Thomas Brown (17), of Owston Ferry, was charged with stealing six ounces of tobacco, value 4/4, the property of Thomas Eyre, at Owston, on May 19th. – Complainant stated that the lad went into his shop, purchased some cigarettes, and went out. He did this on a second occasion after an interval of ten minutes. This aroused complainant’s suspicions, and he left a box containing seven 2oz. packets of tobacco on the counter. Defendant came in a third time, and after this complainant noticed that three packets of tobacco were missing. Complainant took the packages from the lad’s pockets, and told him not to go into his shop again. – Pc Hallam said the lad admitted the offence. He had been previously charged with theft. The father said he had only done one day’s work this week. – A fine of £1 was imposed.

1917 June 9th
George Robinson, of Crowle, was charged with not sending his child, aged 11 years, to school…..Fined 5/-.

Walter Stowe, of Eastoft Grange, was charged with using obscene language, at Crowle, on May 19th, at 11pm, Fined 7/-.

Thomas Halkon, of West Butterwick, was charged with being drunk on the highway at West Butterwick, on May 12th, at 9.15pm. Pc Dawson said the man was helplessly drunk. The defendant wrote stating that he had only had 4 pints of beer, and was lame as he had fallen and hurt his ankle. His eyesight was defective. Pc Dawson said the man was not lame. – The Bench did not believe his excuse, and he was fined 10/-.

William Akroyd, of Keadby, was charged with driving a motor cycle and sidecar without a rear light, at Crowle Wharf….. fined 7/-.

William Lee Selby, of Newland, Epworth, was charged with being drunk and disorderly at Epworth…..

Belton Cole, of Luddington, was charged with cycling without a light , on May 20th at 11pm, at Luddington…… fined 10/-. William Staniforth, of Crowle, was fined 10/- for riding a cycle without a light….. Joseph Glew, of Belton, was charged with a similar offence at 11.15pm, on May 28th. – Fined 10/-.

1917 June 9th
Begs to inform the Public of Crowle and District that it is her intention to CONTINUE the business of COAL MERCHANT carried on by her late husband. At the same time she desires to thank the public for their patronage in the past, and respectfully solicits a continuance of the same.

1917 June 16th
On Friday night last the death occurred of Mr Thorpe Cowling, of High Street. The deceased was one of the oldest, if not the oldest, man in town, being 88 years of age. For many years he was in business as a tailor, and was highly respected by all who knew him. He had only been ill for about a week prior to his death, and leaves a widow and a family of three sons and three daughters to mourn the loss. During the whole of his long life the deceased had never seen the sea…….

1917 July 7th
Mary Hammond, of Burringham, was charged with stealing two copies of music, value 1/-, the property of T Finey, at Keadby, on June 30th. Mrs Richardson stated that they had copies of music in the bar of the Friendship Hotel. Witness met the defendant leaving the house as she went in, and told her to leave the piece of music she had got. She said, “I have got no music belonging to you.” They sent for the police, but in the meantime defendant took the music from under her blouse, and threw it up the passage. Pc Dawson said he went to the house, and saw the defendant, who said she had bought the music from Walter Snowden, the pianist. Snowden denied having lent or sold her any. – Defendant pleaded not guilty and said she was a pianist. She borrowed the music but without permission. A fine of 10/- and witness’ expenses was imposed.

1917 July 21st
The Rev Geoffrey W Daisley, of Misterton, was charged with failing to shade an acetylene lamp, at Haxey, on July 6th….. George Kelsey, of Keadby, was charged with not having a rear light on his trap, at Keadby….. William Smith, of Keadby, was charged with not having his name and address on a cart, at Keadby, on July 10th….. Herbert Turner, of Epworth, a boy, aged 13, was charged with using obscene language in Rectory Street, Epworth, on July 9th. Pc Hencher said he spoke to the lad as to his conduct. – The lad admitted the offence, and promised not to again use such language, and was warned by the Chairman. Miriam Osborn, of Epworth, aged 12, was charged with breaking into the house Alice Spofforth, at Epworth, between July 1st and 16th, stealing a lady’s watch, 8 brooches, 2 pendants, 1 mourning ring, one handkerchief, and a purse, value £2/10/-. Edith M Clark, sister of complainant, stated that her sister was ill, and that on the 15th she went to her sister’s house, and noticed everything was disarranged both upstairs and downstairs. The child had acted as messenger for complainant on different occasions. – Inspector Weston stated that on July 16th he went to Mrs Spofforth’s house, and saw marks on the pantry window frame. He afterwards saw the defendant as to the missing property. She at first denied it, and afterwards took off her dress two of the brooches, and fetched the purse from out of some rubbish, and also 2 other brooches from the back of the house. He questioned her as to some others, and she replied: “Edith Roberts gave me 6d. for some, and promised me another 4d. when she got some change.” The child admitted having got through the pantry window, and let herself out by another window. – The Chairman said the mother was much to blame for the training of the children, and the child would be dealt with as a first offender, and the police to keep a watch over these children. Edith Roberts (40), of Epworth, was charged with receiving a lady’s watch, 3 brooches, a pendant, and a mourning ring, value £2, knowing the same to have been stolen, from the child Osborn. – Charles Laister said the prisoner did housework for him. He had seen prisoner and the child Osborn together in this house. He had seen some of the jewellery and told prisoner that she must not have the child bringing the jewellery to her at his house. He had made complaints on different occasions. The jewellery produced was put into a cannister on the mantlepiece in his house. Inspector Weston said he saw the prisoner on the 16th and questioned her as to the missing property. She denied any knowledge of it, and later told him it was at Mr Laister’s house. She handed the articles from the cannister, and said: ”Minnie Osborn gave me them and said her grandma and auntie had given them to her, and her mother knew all about them. She wanted some money, but I did not give her any. She is a bad girl, and I have not had anything to do with her since that other job.” Witness later saw the prisoner who said: “Minnie has been to see me, and we are both to tell the same tale on Thursday. I know we shall get punished.” – The prisoner, Roberts, said the girl Osborn brought the goods to her at different times during the past three weeks. She swept up one brooch off the floor, and Osborn gave her the others and the ring. She did not know they were valuable, or that they had been stolen. – The prisoner was dealt with as a first offender, and strongly warned as to her future conduct.

[see Aug 25th and Sept 1st – Epworth Police Court]

1917 Aug 4th
Ezra Williamson, of Owston Ferry, was charged with assaulting George Lilley, at Owston Ferry, on July 5th. There was a cross summons – Williamson v Lilley….. Lilley said that on July 5th, at 8pm, he was taking his horses to a field, and there saw Williamson mowing the frontage of the field. Lilley said, “When I want it mowing, I will mow it.” Williamson said he had bought the land, and should mow it. Defendant then struck him with the scythe, and caught his hand, inflicting a serious wound, cutting a bone in his thumb. He attempted to strike him with scythe round his neck. Cross examined: I did not attempt to strike him. I did say he would be shifted out. I closed with him, and laid him out in the dyke. – Two witnesses, A Barnard and R Brown, said they saw the defendant lift up the scythe, and strike Lilley with it. They then scuffled – Pc Hallam said he had seen the wound, and the thumb was cut right through the bone….. The Bench were satisfied that it was a case where the maximum fine of £5 should be imposed. On the cross summons, they thought Lilley had gone too far, and a fine of 1/- was imposed.

1917 Aug 11th
John Hill, of Haxey Carr, was charged with stealing one live tame fowl, value 5/-, the property of George Towns, at Haxey, on August 3rd. Mrs Towns stated that in the middle of the night she heard her fowls making a noise, and looking out of the window saw a man whom she believed to be Hill. The next morning Hill’s daughter went to their house and they told her they had lost a fowl. The girl afterwards took the fowl to Mrs Towns. Pc Hallam went to Hill and asked him to account for having the fowl in his possession. He at first denied it, but later said it was down his croft on the previous night, and he ran it into a hedge, and caught it. – A fine of £2 and witness’ costs 6/- was imposed.

1917 Aug 11th
A shocking ferry boat accident, resulting in the loss of three lives, occurred at Owston Ferry, on the Trent, on Monday evening. The ferry boat, which was in charge of Alfred Torn, put out about 9.40 to take a party of thirteen across the river. At this time the aegir, or tidal wave, which, as is well known, sweeps up the Trent at all seasons of the year, was due. The ferrymen usually put out so as to be in mid-stream at the time of the arrival of the tidal wave, and this practice was followed on Monday evening. The negotiation of these tidal waves is not regarded as being attended with much risk to an experienced boaters – and holiday makers, such were many of the occupants of the ferryboat on this occasion, and look upon the tidal wave as adding a mild excitement to the journey across the river. On this occasion, however, the aegir appears to have been unusually high and strong, and catching the boat almost broadside on, carried it for a few yards upstream and then, despite desperate efforts of the ferryman to right his boat, turned it completely over. The occupants, many of whom were ladies, were thrown into the water with nothing to cling to for support, for the boat itself sank almost immediately. Witnessed as it was by many people from the river bank, several of whom a moment or two before had been waving hands to friends in the ill-fated boat, the scene which followed was distressing in the extreme. Boats were at once put out, and so prompt and able was the assistance rendered that eleven of the fourteen occupants in the boat were rescued – many of them in a very distressed condition. The body of the man is the only one of those drowned as yet recovered. The unfortunate victims were:- Alfred Torn, the ferry boat man, aged 30, who leaves a wife and seven children. He is a native of Owston Ferry, and is well-known as a capable ferryman. Margaret Brunton, aged 40, a native of Fleetwood, who has been the housekeeper at the White Hart Hotel, Owston Ferry, for over 6 years. Alice Withers, aged 18, a daughter of Mr T Withers, of Owston Ferry, employed as a maid at the same hotel. The ferry belongs to the White Hart Hotel, of which Mr Guest is the proprietor. The other occupants of the boat, who were rescued, included Mrs Deardon and Mr Farewell Fox, whose homes are at Sheffield; George Guest, aged 4, and Margery Guest, aged 14, the son and daughter of the proprietor of the hotel; Miss Brunton, sister of one of the ladies drowned; Miss Cissie Gledhill; Mr Robert Torne, the ferryman’s brother; Miss Frances Forster, Miss Doris Barker, Owston Ferry; and Miss Bicky Hollah, of Crowle. Some of the rescued are under the care of Dr Pearson, and are progressing favourably after their terrible experiences. – At the inquest it was stated that it was the recklessness of the people – 13 in number, who jumped into the boat that caused the tragedy. The body was recovered by Capt. Leggott about three quarters of a mile away.

1917 Aug 11th
At Epworth Police Court, on Thursday, before Ald Blaydes and G Archer Esqu., Ernest Frith, aged 12, of Crowle, was charged with entering the house of Edward Wainwright, at Crowle Wharf, on July 26th, and stealing a silver watch, a nickel watch and chain, a threepenny piece, a gold scarf pin, and 2/6 in money, value £2, the property of Mary Wainwright. Complainant stated that she went to work at 8.30a.m., and left her key in the coal-house, so that her children could get in to dinner. On returning at 5.30p.m., from what her son had told her, she looked round and found the drawers of a sideboard open and the articles missing. – Inspector Elviss said he asked the boy to account for the watch and chain he had given back to Ralf Wainwright. He said the scarf pin he found near the gate at Bonnie Hale, and the watch near Mr Jaques’ farm. Later he again saw the boy in the company of George Whiteley, and asked him to account for the watch and chain he had shown Whiteley on Thursday evening. He said he had no watch and chain, and then said he found it in Tetley Park, and took witness to a hedgerow where the watch and chain was taken from a rabbit burrow. He said he spent the 2/6 in Crowle and Crowle Wharf, on sweets, and gave George Whiteley half of it. On the following Tuesday, he took 1/3 to witness, half of the money, and said Whiteley got the other half. The boy now expressed his sorrow, and stated Whiteley said if he went into the house he could have the “biggest half of the money.” They intended to sell the watch and buy an air gun. – He was dealt with under the First Offenders Act, and discharged with a caution.

1917 Aug 18th
Melias Ltd, Crowle, were charged with unlawfully selling half a pound of oatmeal, above the maximum price, at Crowle, on July 12th. – Mabel Jacksen, the manageress, was charged with aiding and abetting in this case…..

The adjournment case against Thomas Dyson, of Stainforth, for not keeping his property in Crowle in a sanitary condition, was again called…..

Edith Beal, Emily Mellers, Mary Ann Cook, and George H May, all of Owston Ferry, were each fined 5/- for failing to obtain signed statements from lodgers when entering their premises as lodgers. Some of the defendants pleaded ignorance, and others that they were of the opinion that the papers had to be signed when the lodgers went away.

Thomas Ridgeway, Thomas Clark, William Luke, David Murray, and Arthur Lythall, of Sheffield, were charged with failing to produce their registration cards at Owston. – They were each fined 5/-.

Arthur Lythall, of Rotherham, was charged with trespassing in search of game on land occupied by Hirst Poskitt, at Owston Grange, on August 5th. Complainant said that he heard a gunshot, and on going out saw defendant ranging on his land, and put a cartridge in the gun. He met him, and took the gun from him. He had a cartridge in the gun, and had a box of cartridges in his pocket. Complainant produced the gun he took from defendant ……. He shot two rabbits, and had no gun licence – fined £2 and costs.

John Stead, of Goole, was charged with not having proper control of a horse and cart, at Eastoft, on July 24th. Pc Conyard said the man had left his cart, and gone into the house to get his dinner. – Fined 5/-. He had over 70 other convictions.

Martin Hindes, of Eastoft, was charged with cycling without a light, at Eastoft, at 11.10p.m., on July 28th….. Fined 5/-. Arthur Surr, of Belton, was summoned for non-payment of poor rates due to the overseers of Belton, amounting to 7/6.

1917 Aug 18th
The Women’s Unionist Association have received letters from the following soldiers to whom they have sent parcels:

Corporal E Connell writes: Just a few lines to convey my warmest thanks to your Association for the parcel received. The contents are, I can assure you, very useful to me indeed. It may interest you to know I spent Friday night with one of the Crowle boys – Harry Fretwell – and we had quite a splendid evening together.

Private Barrowcliffe says: Many thanks for the nice parcel you sent me. I enjoyed the contents very much. I was very pleased to meet with one of the Crowle boys – Bob Hitchcock, – we had two nights together.

Private W Duffield says: Many thanks for the parcel I received. I was very pleased with the contents which were most useful. We have just come out of the trenches for a few days rest, and I have met a Crowlite here, Sergeant Pidd, the first one I have met in France.

Others acknowledging parcels: Pte B Holt, Pte W Havercroft, Pte E Walton, Bombardier G Wainwright, Pte T Walker, Signaller W Ellis.

1917 Aug 25th
Gunner P Havercroft states: A few lines to thank you for the nice and welcome parcel. We are having some very hot weather out here just now. I saw Sydney Hicks a little while ago – the only Crowle lad I have seen since Christmas.

1917 Aug 25th
Miriam Osborn, aged 12, was charged with breaking into the dwelling house of Mrs Florrie Goodman, at Epworth, and stealing a purse, a £1 note, and 12/- in silver, on August 13th. Complainant stated she resided at Rotherham, and had recently taken possession of a house in Tottermire, Epworth. On August 13th, about 7 p.m., she locked up the house and went for a walk, returning about 9 p.m., when she noticed a piece of lead pencil outside the door. On entering the house she noticed a chair had been taken into the pantry from the sitting room. The pantry window had been pushed out at the bottom. She looked round, and found that 6/- was missing from the dressing table upstairs. Her purse, containing a £1 note and 6/- in silver, was missing from the mantle piece in the sitting room. The purse produced was her property. – Inspector Weston stated that at 7 a.m. on August 14th he went to the complainant’s house and found a small pantry window, 12 inches by 16 inches, had been pushed outwards. He then saw the defendant, and showed her a piece of pencil the complainant had picked up near her door, and said, “Is this yours?” She replied: “Yes, sir, I lost it.” He charged her with being in the house in question, which she denied. He then asked her about the purse which was missing. She said, “Please sir, it is down Pashley Walk.” She ran and fetched it. It was empty. When he told her the money was missing from the purse, she said: “Was there a £1 note in it,” and on going outside the house brought the £1 note, and 5/- in money. She handed him 6d out of her pocket and said: “I have spent the other money, and given it away to some lads.” He had seen the lads she named, but they denied having had it. – The girl now told the Bench she had spent 6d. in fish and 6d. in apples. The other money she gave away. She did not give any money to her parents. – The child was charged with a similar offence on July 19th, and was then bound over as a First Offender. – The case was adjourned for a week.

1917 Sept 1st
Mirriam Osborn, aged 12 ½, of Epworth, again appeared on a charge of breaking into the house of Mrs Florrie Goodman, at Epworth….. The Chairman told the father that they were of the opinion that the parents were in a great measure to blame for the girl’s conduct, as the home influence had not been what it should have been. – The child was ordered to be sent to an industrial school until it reached the age of 16 years. [see July 21st – Epworth Petty Sessions]

1917 Sept 1st
Mr F Plowes, on behalf of the Redbourn Hill Brick Co., at Crowle, asked for permission to store 100lbs of explosives for blasting purposes. – This was granted.

Kate Dale, of Luddington, was summoned for not sending her two children to school. One, aged 8 years, had made 32 out of 88 attendances. – Fined 5/- in one case and 10/- in another.

Mary O’Brien, of Luddington, was summoned for not sending her two children to school, and was fined 10/- in one case and 5/- in another. – Michael Curry, Pat Curry, and Fred Malia, of Luddington, were each fined 10/- for similar offences. It was stated that in the cases where fines of 10/- were imposed the children had been employed in pea pulling.

Arthur Turner, of King’s Head, Epworth, was charged with failing to shade an indoor light, at Epworth, at 11.45 p.m. on August 21sr. Fined 7/6.

Herbert E Neal, of Gunthorpe, was charged with failing to cultivate 6 acres of land as per order…..

1917 Sept 15th
John Dennis, of Crowle, was charged with not complying with the Order to close his shop at the proper hours on September 1st. Inspector Elviss said he saw several people come out of the shop at 9.30 p.m.….. He had previously warned them as to their duties to close at 9 p.m. on Saturdays unless it was for the sale of perishable goods. Fined 7/6.

Ezra Williamson, of Owston Ferry, was charged with allowing 4 cows, 2 calves, and 1 horse to stray on the highway, at Owston, on September 2nd.

Jane Emerson, of West Butterwick, was fined 5/- for failing to obtain a signed statement from a lodger; a photo enlargement Canvasser.

1917 Sept 29th
George Henry Ellis (16), Harry Smith (19), and James Foley (19), all of Burringham, were charged with trespassing in the Great Central Railway, at Althorpe, on September 2nd. – Pc Dawson said he saw the men get over the railings at Althorpe Station at 7 p.m. They were tampering with the chocolate machine. He made after them, and caught Ellis and Smith. Foley made off, and he afterwards saw him and took his name. He had received many complaints as to the conduct of youths at the station. – Inspector Hall, of Doncaster, said they had so many complaints that they had to ask the police to assist them in their endeavour to stop this practice. Smith said they were putting a penny in the chocolate machine. Each fined 10/-.

James E Jaques, of Ealand, Warpings, Crowle, was charged with unlawfully using wheat otherwise for seed or flour, to feed 300 fowls, on September 5th…..

William Cook, of Eastoft, was charged with driving 20 head of cattle without a light, at Eastoft, at 9.30 p.m., on September 9th…..

Martin Hinds, of Eastoft, was charged with using obscene language, at Eastoft, on September 16th. Fined 7/6.

William Nicholson, of Owston, was summoned for not sending his child to school. – Mr Hirst Poskitt said he employed the lad on the days named as he couldn’t get a woman…..

Annice Whiteley, of Crowle, summoned Walter Downend, of Ardsley, against whom she asked for an affiliation order….. an order for 4/- per week was made.

1917 Oct 6th
On Saturday afternoon a disastrous fire occurred in the stackyard of Mr Ramsey, Chapel Street, Crowle. The conflagration started at a straw stack and within a very short time the whole of the stacks in the yard – 4 other stacks and a piece, of wheat and oats, the produce of 18 ½ and 14 acres respectively – were involved. The Crowle fire Engine was requisitioned , but owing to the inadequate supply of water available the brigade was sadly handicapped. Miss S M Pidd’s stackyard adjoins that of Mr Ramseys, a low wall separating the two, and efforts were at once made to stop the fire spreading to her stacks. Had a south wind been blowing at the time nothing could have saved Miss Pidd’s produce, and even more serious damage might have resulted, but fortunately, there was scarcely a breath of wind…..

The brigade, who were in (the) charge of Captain G L Pidd, had to depend upon pumps and wells for the water for the engine, and a number of those were soon exhausted. The exceptionally deep well adjoining the Rev J Southall’s residence (the old steam mill) was dug open, but it was found that the engine suction pipe was too short to reach the water, and it had to be pumped into a tank to supply the engine. A vast army of helpers – men, women and children – worked nobly throughout the afternoon and evening , fetching water from far and near in buckets, tubs, and water carts, but the fire was for a time completely out of control. About 10 p.m., however, the engine was taken to the drain which runs alongside the Gas Works – a distance of nearly300 yards from the stackyard, and the engine being manned by a number of soldiers who are engaged on the drainage work under the Hatfield Chase Corporation, and who were relieved by civilian volunteers, a good force of water (and mud) was poured on the flames. Inspector Elviss now took charge of the nozzle end of the hose-pipe and skilfully played on the stacks, which were being pulled to pieces by means of chains and forks. Complete mastery of the flames had been gained by midnight, and an hour later only a few heaps of smouldering straw remained of the excellent crops recently harvested. The stacks, only a small portion of which were saved, were the produce of 58 acres, and some of them were the property of Mr Ramsey’s father (Mr W Ramsey, of Wroot), who recently removed from the farm, being succeeded by his son.

The fire was caused by a 10 year old boy playing with matches, who, after he had set the straw stack ablaze, attempted to extinguish the flames with two buckets of water.

1917 Oct 27th
An oat stack in the stackyard of Mr J George, of Old Laithes Farm, Thorne Levels, was destroyed by fire on Sunday afternoon.

We regret to announce that Mrs Clarke, of Bletcher’s Cottage, Medge Hall (late of Carr-house, Belton) has received official news that her husband, Private William Clark, who was posted as missing on October 23rd, is now reported killed.

The great serial, ‘The girl and the game,’ commences this week at Mr Lovelace’s picture shows at Epworth, Althorpe, and Crowle. See advt on front page.

1917 Nov 3rd
The wedding took place at Belton Church on Sunday last of Mr Horace Greaves, of Epworth, and Miss Richardson, daughter of Mr A Richardson, Samuel Closes, Sandtoft.

Mr J H Nettleship sold by auction at the Queen’s Head, Epworth, on Thursday evening, a field of arable land, 11 acres, on Sandtoft Road, which was purchased by Mr Robert Ward (the tenant) for £140.

We are sorry to have to report the death of Sapper Roland Matthews, of Epworth, who was killed in action in France. – The death of Private Golland, of Epworth, has also been reported this week, and news has been received by Mr John Snowden that his son, Private Walter Snowden has been badly wounded.

An aeroplane, in descending in this district last Sunday, killed 2 young beasts which were grazing in the field.

1917 Nov 10th
Joseph Robinson, of Amcotts, was charged with assaulting Marian Booth, at Amcotts, on October 27th. – Mr Burniston appeared for the complainant, and Mr Gamble for defendant.

Complainant said a man named Vaux, a horseman on Mr Belton’s farm, had an accident, and was in hospital. Robinson, the foreman, told her that Vaux had nothing the matter with him, and she told Vaux what Robinson had said. She admitted to Robinson that she had told Vaux what he had said. Robinson kicked her through a hedge and struck her. She then went home. Ethel Kirton said she was present when Robinson asked them what they had said about Vaux. He said: “You are jumping liars.” Robinson got hold of complainant and pushed her in the fence, and then picked her up, and beat her on the face. She then went home. – Sarah Wressell and Betsy Harrison said Robinson did not touch complainant except to pick her up from the ground.

Defendant said he spoke to the girl Booth about the untrue statement she had made to Vaux, and when they were working he told her to go away, but never struck her. She slipped down. He had previously had to dismiss her. He had been employed by Mr Belton for 32 years and had never struck a girl, and had never any complaints from other employees. – A fine of 10/- was imposed.

Martha Booth, of Amcotts, mother of the girl Booth, was charged with assaulting Joseph Robinson on October 27th. – Robinson stated that the woman went to him at the club at Keadby, and when he went out she struck him in the eye and then used bad language. – William Spindley said he saw the woman strike Robinson. – Mrs Oldfield said she saw a big arm strike out when Robinson opened the door of the club. – Mrs Booth said she went to the club and saw Robinson, and accused him of assaulting her daughter, but did not strike him. – Case dismissed.

1917 Dec 22nd
David Milner, of Keadby Grange, was charged with driving a carriage without proper lights, at Keadby, at 10.30 p.m., on December 2nd….. Fined 10/-.

Edward Pacey, of Graizelound, was charged with driving a cart without lights, at Haxey, on December 3rd, at 5.20 p.m. …… Fined 10/-.

John Gray, of Wroot, was charged with using obscene language, at Wroot, on December 9th. – Pc Hallam said the defendant made use of very indecent language while people were leaving places of worship….. a fine of £1 was imposed.

Wooton Torn, of Owston Ferry, was charged with being search of game, at Haxey, on December 13th. – Pc Hallam stated that at 1 p.m. he saw the defendant in Cooper’s field and on watching his movements he was satisfied that he was in search of game. A hare got up and his dog chased it across the road into another field. Witness spoke to the man, and on searching him found a fresh killed hare concealed in the back of his coat, which he took from him. Defendant said he had caught it in a field in which he had the right to go, but he had no permission to be in the field where he saw him. – Defendant said Mr Jackson asked him to get a hare for him from his field, and he did so. He also chased a rabbit, and only followed his dog into Cooper’s field. The hare was killed two hours before he saw the constable, and had seen Jackson pass, and told him he had killed it. – Arthur Jackson corroborated as to having told him when he passed him at 11 a.m. that he had got it and was following a rabbit. – Defendant was given the benefit of the doubt, and the case was dismissed.