Crowle Community Forum
Crowle Advertiser


1907 Jan 5th
JOTTINGS The following team will represent the Juniors To-day v Althorpe and Keadby: J W Couch, T Brown, D Cranidge, C Parkin, (captain), R Bamford, L Petman, H Burtonshaw, E Howley, C B Fish, W A Curtis, J Couch, and B Cranidge (reserve). Joseph Franks Esq., C.C., of Ashdale, Crowle Wharf, has generously distributed several tons of coal amongst his tenants during Christmas, which is indeed a further proof of his generosity to his townspeople.

1907 Jan 5th
Vaccination Exemption Certificates were granted to Isaac Richardson, Belton, and Samuel Dixon, Keadby.

Mary Collinson, of Epworth, was fined 2/6 and costs 4/6, for being drunk on the 24th December. Pc Hencher said she was unable to walk, and he helped her son to get her home in a wheelbarrow.

John Ogle, Cross Keys, Crowle, was fined 10/- and costs 4/6 for selling gin adulterated to the extent of 2 degrees below the legal limit, on the 21st November. Defendant stated that it was old stock, and he considered evaporation was the cause.

Mary Hill, of the White Hart, Crowle, was fined £1 and costs 4/6, for selling to Pc Woodcock a pint of gin, which proved to be 14 degrees below the legal limit, on November 22nd. Mr A W Cundall, of the firm Burtonshaw and Cundall, Crowle, appeared for defendant, and stated that there was no wilful intention, and as this was the first offence during her 25 years in the trade, he asked for a dismissal.

John Thomas East, Darby and Joan, Crowle, was fined 10/- and costs 4/6 for selling brandy adulterated to the extent of 6 degrees below the limit on November 22nd. Mr Cundall also appeared in this case, and explained that the defendant had only been in this business a few weeks, and had unfortunately sold the brandy received from his predecessor.

Charles Cawkwell, of Keadby, was drunk and incapable, at Keadby, on the 27th December. Pc Jinks said he had to carry the man about a quarter of a mile.

Frank Dawson and Charles Duffitt, of Belton, were charged with using obscene language, at Belton, on the 22nd December. Both pleaded guilty, and were each fined 2/6 and costs 4/6.

1907 Jan 12th
At Epworth Police Court on Monday, before T J Blaydes, Esq., and H Hodgson, Esq., Sarah Stowe was committed for 21 days for being drunk and disorderly at Crowle on the 4th inst.

On Monday, before H Hodgson, Esq., at Crowle, Stephen Buckley, Albert Booth, and John Freeman, were each committed for 10 days for begging on the 6th.

At Crowle, on Thursday, before H Hodgson Esq., Jonas Knight, Thos. Kelly, and Alfred Fisher, were committed for 10 days for begging, at Crowle, on the 9th inst. Prisoners were all young men.

1907 Jan19th
At Crowle Police Court on Wednesday, before H Hodgson, Esq., Leamington Swindon, Edward Beaver, Francis Roebuck, and William McConnell, were each committed to prison for 10 days for begging, at Crowle, on the 15th January.

1907 Jan 19th
Fletcher – on the 13th inst., at Crowle, Mrs Elizabeth Fletcher, aged 78 years.
Dyson – on the 15th inst., at Crowle, Mr Geo Ramsey Dyson, aged 66 years.
Hall – on the 15th inst., at Keadby, Mr Charles Canby Hall, aged 68 years.

1907 Jan 26th
GARTHORPE – Death of a Well-Known Inhabitant.
On Sunday last, Mr Robert Leeson, tailor, of Garthorpe, was taken suddenly ill, and medical aid was sent for from Crowle. Before the arrival of the Doctor, however, Mrs Leeson, who has been ailing for some time, expired. Her death, which was not unexpected, was, no doubt, somewhat accelerated by the shock caused by Mr Leeson’s sudden illness. Mrs Leeson was 54 years of age.

The interment took place at Luddington, on Wednesday afternoon, and the funeral was said to be the biggest of recent years. All the schools and places of business were closed during the funeral service, which was conducted by the vicar, the Rev E T H Harper.

1907 Feb 2nd
Vaccination Exemption Certificates were granted to Fred Addlesee, of Belton, and M Fawcett, of Owston.

Game Trespass – Wooton Torn, of Owston Ferry, was charged with trespassing in search of game on land at Owston Ferry, occupied by C H Marshall, on the 1st inst.…… The case was proved by E H T Puleine, of Owston, who stated that he was near the Warping Drain, adjoining his farm, and saw the defendant trying the rough grass. Defendant’s contention was that he was not on Marshall’s bank, but on Duffield’s bank, where he had permission to go. The dog he had with him was a greyhound, but stated he was not looking for hares. Fine of 5/- and costs was imposed.

1907 Feb 9th
At Crowle Police Court, on Monday, before H. Hodgson, Esq., John Britton and William Williamson were each committed for 10 days, for begging, at Crowle, on the3rd inst. On Thursday, John McCole was committed for 10 days for begging, on the 17th inst. On Friday, James Bentley was committed for 10 days for begging.

1907 Feb 16th
Albert Bassindale, of Crowle, appeared in answer to a summons by Georgina Crawshaw, of Crowle, for failing to contribute in accordance with an affiliation order of 1893. The amount owing was £8/2/6, which he admitted. He was not, he said, able to pay as he had now left the Navy, in order to assist his mother, and he had not yet been able to obtain employment. He had not any allowance from the Navy, but had paid £12 to obtain his discharge. He was committed to prison for two months.

1907 Feb 23rd
On Saturday last, about noon, Mr Thomas Janney, boot merchant, Crowle, placed two pairs of boots outside his shop door. At about 1-15, on entering the door, Mr Janney noticed that one of the pairs of boots were missing, and asked his wife if she had sold them. As Mrs Janney replied in the negative, he concluded the boots had been stolen, and informed the police. Inspector Skipworth ascertained from Janney that he had met a tramp going along the Godnow road, and he decided to follow him. The inspector mounted his cycle and raced along the Canal towing path, overtaking his man about 2 miles from Thorne. Having told him he was a police officer and cautioned him, he proceeded to search the man, and found the boots tied round his waist underneath his overcoat. When asked where he had got them from the man replied he had cut them down from a shop door in Crowle. He further stated that if the boots had not fit him, he should have sold them. Inspector Skipworth then charged him with the theft, and brought him back to Crowle, where Janney identified the boots as his property.

On Wednesday, James Walker, labourer, was brought up in custody at Epworth….. Walker pleaded guilty, and was committed for one calendar month.

1907 Mar 9th
At Crowle Police Court on Monday, before H Hodgson Esq., George Middleton, of Crowle, was brought up in custody, on a charge of being drunk and disorderly, on the 2nd inst., and was remanded on bail until the 14th.

1907 Mar 9th
It was stated in the shipping news of the Yorkshire Post, on Thursday, that the Royal Mail steamer, ‘Oropeso,’ on which Mr Tom Ashmell is sailing, left Rio de Janeiro on March 5th for Santos…..

1907 Mar 30th
Charles Scholey, of Owston, was ordered to contribute 2/6 per week towards the illegitimate child of Ada Qualter.

Noel Crackle, of Keadby, was fined 2/6 and costs for being drunk and disorderly on the 9th March.

William Bowman, of Burnham, for having a dog on the highway without a collar was ordered to pay costs.

The Rev J Swales and Miss L E Foster, of Crowle, were summoned for non-payment of the educational portion of their rates, 1/8 and 5/7 respectively, and orders were made for payment.

1907 Apr 6th
A very sudden occurrence took place at Amcotts on Monday. A youth, aged 15, named Albert Ellis, who was employed as farm servant by Mr T J Belton at Amcotts Grange, was at work in a field with three horses attached to a Cambridge roller. It being noticed by a workman named Gawtry, that the horses were standing for some time he went towards them, and upon arrival found the lad lying face downwards under the roller. Deceased, who was dead, was conveyed to his home, and Dr Robertson was sent for. An inquest was held by Mr P A Gamble on Tuesday…..

A verdict of “Accidental Death” was returned.

1907 Apr 13th
Edward Siely, of Crowle, was charged with creating a brawl by fighting, at Crowle, on the 25th March. Pc Fox and Inspector Skipworth proved the case. Siely, in defence, said he was going home when someone struck him a violent blow. The Bench took into consideration the fact that it was the time of the election, and inflicted a nominal fine of 2/6 and costs. – John William Isle, of Crowle, who was summoned for a like offence at the same time and place, did not appear, and the bench not being satisfied with a letter he had written, the case was adjourned for a fortnight.

Thos Middlebrook, of Haxey, was charged with riding bicycle without a light….. Pc Dodson proved the case….. fine of 1/- and costs…..

John Henry Hanson, of Crowle, was charged with being drunk on licensed premises (Fishmongers’ Arms) on the 6th April….. a fine of 5/- and 4/6 costs imposed.

Thomas Crawshaw, of Garthorpe, was fined 2/6 and costs 5/- for being drunk and disorderly at Garthorpe on March 15th.

James Pullan, a violent tramp, ws charged with begging, at Westwoodside, on the 10th inst…… Supt. Spofforth said the man, when arrested, was fairly well dressed, and while in the cell he had torn up the whole of his clothing, and therefore now appeared in a rug. Committed to prison for one month’s hard labour.

1907 Apr 27th
John William Isle, of Crowle, was charged with joining in a brawl, by fighting, at Crowle, on the 25th March. Pc Fox said he saw Isle and Siely fighting at 11pm. He pleaded guilty, but stated that Siely had struck him with a stick, which he simply pushed away, or he would have received a violent blow. Fined 5/- and costs or 7 days.

Albert Bassindale, of Crowle, was charged with being drunk in an outhouse, at the Cross keys, on the 16th inst….. Defendant said he had just come out of prison, and the few drinks that he had upset him. A fine of 2/6 and costs was imposed.

Thomas Lilley, of Owston, was charged with being drunk on the highway at Owston, on the 13th inst. Pc Smith proved the case….. a fine of 2/6 and costs was imposed.

1907 May 4th
MISS E WHITELY wishes to announce that she has commenced business as DRESSMAKER at the premises formally occupied by Miss Isle, near the Wesleyan Chapel, and will be pleased to receive any orders, which will receive prompt attention.

1907 May 11th
The license of the Three Horse Shoes, West Butterwick, was transferred to Robert Armstrong; that of the Railway Tavern, Haxey, to Charles Arnwell; and that of the Bay Horse Inn, Garthorpe, to Thomas Pownall.

1907 May 18th
At Crowle Police Court, on Wednesday, before J Franks, J.P., C.C., Ann Ward, a professional tramp, was charged with begging, at Crowle, on the 14th inst. Prisoner, who pleaded guilty, admitted to having been on the road for 42 years. Inspector Skipworth proved the case, and stated that the woman had been begging all over the town, and when arrested, stated that if she had not been locked up she had intended to smash some windows, as she had a bad leg, and wished to be seen by a medical men (sic). The magistrate discharged the woman, and ordered her removal to Thorne Union Infirmary.

1907 May 25th
William Pearson and Thomas Drakes, of Crowle, were charged with fighting on the highway, at Crowle, on the 11th inst. Inspector Skipworth said that they were creating a great disturbance. Drakes stated that he was walking home when Pearson and others shouted after Drakes, who went back and said he would fight the best man in Crowle, and he therefore accommodated him – Each were fined 2/6 and costs 4/6.

Robert Torn and Wm Fielding, of Owston Ferry, were charged with being drunk and disorderly, at Owston, on the 15th May….. 5/- and costs.

Landlord and his Wife – William Winfield, of the Plough Inn, Burnham, was summoned by his wife Sarah Rosamund Winfield, who asked for a separation order….. the parties had been married only about two years. He had on many occasions ill treated her, but not actually striking, but “throttling” her. He got a gun and attempted to shoot her, and she has not since slept at the house, but had gone during the day to look after the business. It was her money that was invested, and she asked for a separation order, but not a maintenance order, as she had private means.

Complainant said she had been married nearly two years, he being her second husband. He had threatened her on various occasions, trying to throttle and also to shoot her. On Tuesday in last week he pushed her out of the house. On Friday he said she would not live another hour. He had some cartridges in his pocket, but the gun and cartridges were taken from him on this day. She dare not live with him.

Ethel Ann Fowler, the complainant’s daughter, gave corroborative evidence.

Winfield expressed his sorrow for what had occurred, and was agreeable to an order being made, as he intended going away……

1907 May 25th
Mr Ben. Batty (late of Crowle), passed away on Thursday, the 11th inst., and was interred at the Crystal Palace Cemetery on Tuesday last. He belonged to one of the oldest families in Crowle….. Sub postmaster for over 20 years…..organist at the Baptist Church….. went to his nephews J and W Sinclair…..

1907 May 25th
At Scunthorpe Police Court on Wednesday, Thomas Dent denied stealing a dog collar – saying he picked it up on the road – belonging to Frederick Henry Lillycrapp, blacksmith, Althorpe. Evidence was given to the effect that defendant took the collar off the dog and that when a constable approached him he dropped the collar on the road. When the officer charged him, he replied, “I know I’ve done wrong by bringing it off the road,” adding that he intended to keep it. Supt. Holmes asked the Bench to make an example of the defendant, seeing that owners were fined for not having collars on their dogs. Defendant protested that he did not take the collar off the dog, but was fined 15s or 14 days imprisonment…..

1907 May 25th
At the Epworth Police Court, before Alderman Stephenson and Mr William Standring, on Tuesday, William Booth, George Smith, and Albert Smith again appeared in the case of assault upon Joseph Smith, horse slaughterer. Complainant alleged the defendant’s quarrelled with him on the return journey from Gainsborough market on May 14th, and that they followed him home and attacked him. He said that for a time he defended himself with a pole-axe, but they eventually got this from him, and he was felled to the ground and severely kicked and mauled….. remanded in custody until Monday next.

1907 June 1st
William Booth, George Smith, and Albert Smith, all connected with the “gipsy” fraternity, were brought up in custody on remand, and charged with assaulting and beating Joseph Smith, on Tuesday, the 14th inst. A certificate from Dr. McHattie was handed in, which stated that Smith’s wounds were healing satisfactorily, and could now say Smith was out of danger.

The evidence of Smith, the complainant, given on remand, was read over, to which he added that George Smith struck him first and then he was pulled to the ground and numerous blows followed. Booth started the row and was the ringleader.

During the complainant’s evidence the members of the “tribe,” who were, as usual, present in force, frequently interrupted, and were ordered by the Chairman to be cleared from Court.

Smith, in cross examination, denied first hitting Booth across the back with the pole-axe.

Rhoda Smith, daughter of complainant, who gave evidence very reluctantly, was cautioned. She then said that Booth struck her father with his fist, and her father then took up the pole-axe which her mother took from him. Booth and George Smith, with others, then got complainant on to the floor and she saw no more. Albert Smith stood by her but did not take part. She admitted, however, that shortly before he said, “come on, uncle (meaning Booth), we will fight to the … death.” The row lasted about a quarter of an hour.

Meraniel Smith, aged 14, who also had to be cautioned, gave similar evidence, but added that coming on the road, George had pulled two or three hedge stakes out of the hedge. Booth was the first to strike, and George and Albert got him down and were hitting him.

Sarah Smith, aged 11, was not sworn, and after a few questions were put to her, was ordered to stand down.

Pc Lincoln proved finding two or three hedge stakes near the scene of the conflict.

Defendants elected to be sworn. Booth said they admitted they fought, but he nothing but strike the complainant with the naked fist. George Smith said that Booth started it, but he (George) only hit Joe once with a stick. Albert said George and Booth did all the striking, but he did nothing.

The Chairman said they had given the case careful consideration. It was a serious assault, and they might have killed the complainant. Booth would be committed for six weeks hard labour, George Smith to one month hard labour, and Albert, who, the Justices thought, had not taken such a prominent part in the affairs as the other two, was fined 30/- including costs, or twenty one days in default.

1907 June 8th
George Whiteley, of Crowle, was charged with stealing a purse, containing 18/-, in money, and two receipted bills, the property of Amy Webster, at Crowle, on May 25th. Complainant, who is engaged as a servant at the South Yorkshire Hotel, Crowle Wharf, stated that she received two half-sovereigns from her mistress as wages, which she put into her purse, and then went to Crowle. She went to Mr Muir’s shop, and purchased goods, tendering one of the half-sovereigns, and receiving 8/- in change, which she put into her purse, making 18/-. She then went to Webster’sYard, and while in the steam horses missed her purse, which she had carried in her hand. When she got off, she went round to look for it, and Mrs Rutter came up and told her that she had seen a man pick up the purse and walk away. The following day she reported the case to Inspector Skipworth. Eliza Rutter, who had charge of a shooting gallery in Webster’s Yard, stated that she saw the defendant pick up the purse, which he kept in his hand and walked out of the yard, and she afterwards told the girl what she had seen. On Tuesday afternoon, he again went into the field, and she called the attention of Mr Brannan to him. Barry Rutter also corroborated this evidence. – Thomas Brannan, manager of Tuby’s roundabouts said he saw the defendant on Tuesday, and asked him about the purse, but he only replied “What purse,” and walked away. He refused to give his name, but he obtained it from two other men. – Inspector Skipworth stated that he received information from the last witness as to the way the man had gone, and he overtook him. He denied all knowledge of the affair, and refused to go back to see the witnesses. When he served the summons upon him he said, “No one saw me pick the purse up. They will have to prove it.” Defendant pleaded not guilty, and consented to be dealt with summarily….. under the First Offenders’ Act he was ordered to pay the costs, and enter into a surety for his future conduct. He was allowed three months time to pay the costs 21/-.

1907 June 8th
DRINK – Robert Newborn, of Althorpe, was fined 5/- and costs 4/6 for being drunk and disorderly, at Althorpe, on May 30th, and George Booth, of Crowle, for a similar offence, at Crowle, was also fined 5/- and costs. – Richard Chiles, of Mexbro’ was fined 10/- and costs, for being drunk and creating a disturbance, at Crowle Wharf, on May 19th.

FIGHTING – John Henry Bassindale, nd Benjamin Holt, of Crowle, were each fined 2/6 and costs, for fighting, at Crowle, on May 28th.

SCHOOL CASE – William Mason, of Crowle, was ordered to pay 5/-, including costs, for not sending his son regularly to school.

EMPLOYER AND WORKMAN – Enoch Ward, who is in custody on a charge of stealing jewellery, at Crowle, was summoned by Thomas Brannan, steam horse manager, for leaving his employment without giving proper notice, and 20/- was claimed as damages. An order for 15/- was made.

1907 June 15th
On Monday afternoon, a pretty wedding was celebrated in a quiet manner at the Crowle Parish Church, the contracting parties being Mr Frank York, of Winterton, and Miss Ada Leggott, youngest daughter of Mr Isaac Leggott of Crowle. The bride was given away by Mr G Wicks, and was charmingly attired in a pretty dress of navy voile, trimmed with cream satin and figured Maltese lace, and wore a hat of cream silk, trimmed with cream silk ribbons and roses, and carried a bouquet of coloured flowers. Miss Elsie Drury, of Burton Stather, was the bridesmaid, and wore a dress of green muslin, trimmed with white silk and lace, with hat to match. The duties of best man were carried out by Mr G Wicks. The Rev F G White was the officiating clergyman. The wedding carriages were from the White Hart Livery Stables. The presents included silver and plated goods from Mrs Popple and Family, Winterton; Mr and Mrs Jas Popple, Castlethorpe; Mr Jas Popple, junr., carvers; Mrs Adamson, cruet; Mr and Mrs Wicks, quilt; Mr and Mrs Marshall, cutlery; Mr and Mrs G Walker, furniture; Mrs Connell, china dishes; Mrs Seymour, sheets; Mrs Whiteley, decanter and d’oyleys; Mrs Walton, salts and d’oyleys; Mrs Robinson, pair of ornaments; Mrs E Seymour, pair of ornaments; Mr York, and Mrs Leggott… [article breaks off here]

1907 June 15th
Enoch Ward (24), a showman, was again brought up in custody upon a charge of stealing various articles of jewellery, the property of Ann Elizabeth Pidd, at Crowle, on May 28th. Complainant stated that the prisoner began to lodge with her on May 24th, and left on My 28th, at 9am. She was not aware that he was going away, and he left a balance of 6/- owing for lodgings. On the following Sunday she missed a box containing two silver watches, two silver chains, a gold chain, three silver brooches, gent’s pin, ring, gold brooch, other brooch, and necklet of beads, of the value of £4/17/6….. Prisoner pleaded guilty, and his brother (Ben Warne) stated that he was a weak-minded person, and, at times, was not accountable for his actions. Supt. Spofforth stated that the prisoner appeared to be alright, and also produced a previous conviction for larceny….. committed for a month.

1907 June 22nd
Miss Barr, of Braffords Farm, has a small black duck which has laid over 100 eggs this year, and is still laying regularly.

1907 June 22nd
Charles Wragg, of Kilnhurst, was charged with being drunk and disorderly, at Crowle, on the 9th June. Inspector Skipworth said he saw the prisoner drunk in the yard of the South Yorkshire Hotel, and his friend agreed to take him to the station. He had afterwards heard of a man being on the line near the Swing Bridge, and found it to be the same man hopelessly drunk.

William Beaumont, of Crowle, was fined 1/- and costs, for allowing his dog to be at large at 11.30pm on June 3rd.

Robert Hall, of Owston Ferry, was fined 1/- and costs for allowing his dog to be on the highway without a collar. He stated that the dog had a bad neck, and he had the collar off on this account.

Lewis Howard, a stranger, who had 3/3 in money upon him, was committed for seven days for begging, at Haxey, on the 19th inst. Supt. Spofforth said he was a peculiar man, who had many books on his possession.

1907 June 29th
Walter Drury, a native of Garthorpe, a sailor on board the s.s. Frankfort, pleaded guilty at Goole Police Court, on Monday, with smuggling 6lbs of compressed prohibited foreign manufactured tobacco, the single duty and value of which was £1-18s. The vessel had come from Antwerp, and the tobacco was found concealed in the bunkers.

Mr Edrupt (Collector of Customs) said prisoner had been in trouble several times for similar offences….. Mr Edrupt asked for a substantial penalty as a warning to others. The magistrates imposed a penalty of treble duty and value £5-14s and 4s 6d costs, or one months imprisonment.

1907 July 6th
An hours extension was granted to Rowland Rogers, River Don, Eastoft….. to William Robinson, of the Ingleby Arms, Amcotts, and to Edward Snowden, Cross Keys, Wroot…

The license of the Plough Inn, Burnham, was transferred to Sarah Rosamund Winfield, and that of the Kings Head Inn, Epworth, to Arthur Turner.

DOGS ACT – Jonathan Bean, of Keadby, was charged with allowing o dog to stray on the highway at Epworth, at 12pm, on the 17th June. Fined 1/- and costs.

A BAD ROAD – Tom Bellamy, of Crowle, was charged with riding a cycle on the footpath on Primrose Hill Lane, at Crowle, on the 14th June.

WARNING TO CYCLISTS – Arthur Pettit, of West Butterwick, was charged with not giving an alarm when passing the police carriage at Kelfield, on the 22nd June. Pc Smith said he was riding with the Supt. In the police carriage, when defendant passed at great speed, on a cycle, and gave no alarm….. case was dismissed…

SCHOOL CASES – William Mason, of Crowle, was charged with not sending his child to school….. John Yates, of Belton, was charged with not sending his child to school regularly…

George Chafer, of Tetley, Crowle, was charged with allowing a dog to stray at Crowle, at 11.30pm, on Monday the 16th June.

1907 June 13th
George Edward Tuton, of Hotham, late of Luddington, ….. farmer, has filed his petition in bankruptcy. He owes £668 to unsecured creditors, and estimates his assets to produce only £13-10s….. He farmed at Luddington for ten years…..

1907 July 20th
Obscene Language. – Thomas Cusa and Thomas Whiteley, of Keadby, were each fined 5/- and costs 4/6, for using obscene language, at Keadby, on June 24th. Both pleaded guilty, and the latter defendant remarked that it seemed most peculiar that cases of another person at Keadby had been heard in his absence, while he was compelled to attend. The Chairman stated that in future no cases would be heard in the absence of defendants.

Walter Qualter, (16), of Owston Ferry, was fined 2/6 and costs 4/6, for using obscene language on the Recreation Ground, at Owston, on the 8th July. He was also warned as to his future conduct.

Mushroom Gathering. – J.W. Sharp, of Crowle, was charged with damaging grass, belonging to Fred Wroot, South Yorkshire Hotel, Crowle Wharf. Inspector Skipworth stated that at 1.30pm on the 7th inst., he saw Sharp and Lindley ranging in the field. Mr Wroot said considerable damage had been done by different parties. An order was made for 5/- damages and costs. Lindley failed to appear, and his case was adjourned for a fortnight.

Game Trespass. – William Mellors, of Owston, was charged with trespassing in pursuit of game, at Owston, on June 28th. Pc Smith said that he saw the defendant ranging in a field belonging to Mr John R Farr, and heard him fire the gun. Defendant then ran home and locked the door. Farr stated that the defendant had not the authority upon his land. Mr A P Sharp appeared for the defendant, who denied firing a gun upon the land, but fired in an adjoining field. He ran away because he had not his gun license with him. The Chairman said they could not rely upon his evidence, which was most unsatisfactory, and a fine of 10/- and costs was imposed.

1907 July 20th
At Goole show on Thursday last, Mr J M Cranidge took second prize in the fox terrier class; Mr J J Cranidge second in any variety sporting; and first prize with his noted pointer, ‘Lady Councillor.’

We are informed that the members of the Crowle Amateur Minstrels (which body has been practically defunct since 1897) who still reside in Crowle, have generously decided that the balance of their funds, 16/-, in the hands of their treasurer (Mr Jas Ross, junr.), be given to the Hospital Sunday Fund, and this sum has therefore been handed over to Mr Jas Ross, senr., the treasurer of that fund.

On Saturday last an exhibition of vegetables took place at the Darby and Joan Hotel, where there were a large number of entries. The following were the awards: – Plate of potatoes (kidneys): 1, S Oades; 2, T Barnard; 3, J Leggott. Plate of single eschalots: 1, J Connell; 2, J Leggott; 3, T Outibridge. Plate of eschalots (double): 1, J Leggott; 2, J Connell; 3, W Ramsey. Plate of blackcurrants: 1, Thornby; 2, H Lister; 3, W J Isle.

1907 July 20th
An inquest was held at the police station, at Crowle, on Wednesday morning by Mr P A Gamble, upon the body of Philip Stowe, who shot himself, at Crowle, on the 16th inst. Mr Clarke was the foreman of the jury.

Eliza Stowe said that she lived at 6 Godnow Road, Crowle. The body the jury had seen was that of her husband, who was 70 years of age, and was a farm labourer. She last saw him alive at 1.40, on the 16th inst., in her house. She went into the yard, and while there heard a noise which roused her suspicion. She went back and found that he had left the sofa, and was sitting back in his chair, and noticed a blaze upon the front of his shirt. She quickly got hold of his shirt, and the blood soaked it out.. A single barrel gun was lying on the floor. He was quite dead. A few weeks ago he worked for Mr Maw, and he and Mr Maw’s son were pulling some wire and he fell upon his head, about which he has been complaining very much. He had not worked for over a week, and he complained of people having said things about him, but did not say what they were. He had never threatened to make away with himself, and had not consulted the doctor.

Mary Hicks, sister of the deceased, said she was at the house of the deceased on the 16th inst. He was not well.

Dr Hamilton said that at 2.45pm he visited the house of the deceased, and found him quite dead in a chair. The wound was in the body, over the breast bone. The wound was in an upward direction, and the bullet was in the heart. The wound was round, such as would be caused by a bullet or shot. His clothing was saturated with blood, and there was a shot mark upon his shirt.

Alice Shaw, who resides next door to the deceased, said she heard the report of the gun, and afterwards saw deceased in his chair.

Inspector Skipworth said he went to the house, and found the deceased quite dead, with the gun produced on the hearthrug at his feet. He searched his pockets, and found the letter produced in his trousers. On reading the letter he proceeded upstairs, and on searching the pockets of an old pair of trousers upon the mattress, he found another letter:- “This letter is to say that I am as innocent of anything they have said about me as a child. I have one of the best wives in the world, God help her.”

Joseph Maw, of Crowle Cottage, said the deceased had been in his employment about 16 years. He had not worked since the 5th. He expected him coming to work again, but he came the following morning and asked for his wages, which were paid to him by his son. He had gone away like it before. He had not said anything about him, as he did his work satisfactory. He had never accused him of anything.

The Coroner, in summing up the evidence, said the man appeared to have been deluded. He had been in bad health, and had contemplated taking his life.

The jury returned a verdict of “Suicide whilst of unsound mind.”

1907 July 20th
BELTON For many successive years, Mrs Collinson of Beltoft House, has generously given the children attending the Day Schools, a treat. This year proved no exception, and on Thursday last, the children were conveyed to Beltoft in vehicles lent by Messrs John Leggott, W Taylor, C Godfrey, and J W Ross. On arrival, tea was provided, followed by recreation. Before returning hearty cheers were given for Mrs Collinson, for her kindness.

1907 July 20th
ACCIDENT A somewhat serious accident befell a woman named Mary Ellen Gavin, employed by Mr W Bramhill, Boltgate Farm. The woman, who was in charge of a team of horses and a wagon, was engaged leading clover, and riding in front of the wagon, when she fell between the horses, which were moving. Before assistance could be obtained she was much trampled on by the animals. Medical aid was quickly obtained, when it was found that she was suffering from serious internal injury, and Dr Dunlop ordered her immediate removal to the Goole Infirmary.

1907 July 27th
MASONIC INSTALLATION On Thursday, the annual installation festival of the Isle of Axholme Lodge (1482), was held at the Masonic Hall, when W. Bro. W H M Alexander was reinstalled Worshipful Master by Installing Master, W. Bro. T Staniforth, who performed the ceremony in a most effective and impressive manner. There was a large company of brethren present, including several from Doncaster, Grimsby, Goole, Scunthorpe, and other places. The Worshipful Master appointed and invested his officers as follows:

W. Bro. W Burtonshaw, I.P.M.
“ W Gorbutt, S.W.
“ W Woodley, J.W.
W. Bro. T Staniforth, Treas. & Chap.
“ E I Middlebrook, Secretary.
“ C Ward, S.D.
“ N Brunyee, J.D.
W. Bro. J Franks, D.C.
W “ G H Hill, Assistant organist.
“ J Turner, St.B.
“ W Wade, I.G.
“ J W Morris, S.S.
“ F Cowhan, J.S.
“ G Naylor, Tyler

After lodge, the Brethren adjourned to the Oddfellows Hall, where Hostess East had prepared for them an excellent banquet. The tables were most beautifully set out and adorned with choice flowers. Nearly 40 brethren sat down to the splendid repast. Various course were daintily served, and an able staff of waiters paid every attention to the guests. After the banquet, the usual loyal and masonic toasts were given and duly honoured, being interspersed by harmony.

1907 Aug 3rd
A REMARKABLE FIRE An extraordinary fire occurred at Epworth on Wednesday. Mr John Wilson was proceeding to Doncaster with a dray load of furniture, accompanied by his wife. When he had just got outside the town he discovered that his dray was on fire. There was no water at hand, and in a very short time the goods were destroyed, and the dray was much damaged. On the dray were dresses, cakes, etc., in preparation for a wedding, All of which were destroyed.

1907 Aug 3rd
Samuel Smith, a hawker, was charged with allowing a dog to stray on the highway at Owston, after sunset on the 27th July. Mr Blaydes said he was driving from Bagsby to Ferry at 9.30pm when he saw a lurcher dog on the road. He called the defendant’s attention to the fact, and he asked for his name, to which he replied that he had not got a name. Mr Blaydes said these people were a great nuisance in the district, as they were encamped in the neighbourhood, and hares were not allowed to live. Pc Pikett said he visited the defendant in a field on Bagsby road, and he said that the dog had followed some of the family to Ferry. Defendant pleaded ignorance of the law, but was fined 2s 6d and costs 4s 6d.

Mr AP Sharp applied for an ejection order against Robert Batty, on behalf of Matthew Bocock, of Owston Ferry, who had served a notice to quit ten weeks ago. – An order of ejectment was made.

Vaccination Exemption Certificates were granted to Watson Carver, of Epworth; Tom Leggott, of Belton; RW Hirt, of Graizelound; Austin Wilson, of Althorpe; and Fred Merrian, of Epworth.

Charles Abrams, of Haxey, was fined 6s., including costs, and 6d. and costs remitted, for not sending his children to school. – Henry Palpin and James Buttle, of Haxey, 5s., including costs, for like offences. – Alfred Wright, of Haxey, for employing his son and a boy named Heath, 5s.6d., including costs, in each case. – Edward Golland, of Westwoodside, 5s.6d., including costs, for a like offence. In the latter case the mother stated that the children had been ill with chicken-pox.

Harold Harris, of Haxey, was fined 1/- and costs 4/6, for riding a bicycle after sunset without a light, on July 21st.

1907 Aug 17th
David Gravill, of Epworth, was fined 2/6 and costs for being drunk on the highway, at Epworth, on August 3rd. He was found asleep by Pc Pikett, who woke him. Prisoner remarked, “I thought I was in bed.”

Charles Adams, of Haxey, was charged with allowing a cow to stray on the highway, at Haxey, on the 6th August. Supt. Spofforth said he saw the cow straying on the road at 6-15 and 6-40 am. Defendant said he had left the cow until he got his breakfast.

John McDonough, Thomas Walker, Fred Walker, William Duffield, George Webster, and Bernard Walker, of Crowle, youths, were charged with damaging a stack belonging to Miss Foster, at Crowle, on July 30th. George Procter, the foreman, stated that on the day in question he found some portion of the seeds had been pulled from the top of the stack, and some straw damaged….. Inspector Skipworth went to the boys at school, and they admitted the offence.

Samuel Autey, of Crowle, was fined 5/- and costs 4/6, for being drunk in Church Walk, Crowle, on August 10th. Inspector Skipworth had to assist him home. He said he had had the drink given to him, but promised to sign the pledge, which the Chairman remarked, he had often done. Fined 5/- and costs 4/6.

Joseph Sharp, of Crowle, was fined 5/- and costs 4/6, for being drunk on the highway, at Crowle, on the 9th inst. Pc Fox proved the case, and stated that he assisted him into the house. Defendant admitted the offence, and said that the reason he fell was owing to the footpath being very slippery and dangerous.

1907 Aug 17th
At the Thorne Police Court, on Monday, Thomas John Batty, a veterinary surgeon, of Crowle, was summoned for assaulting Charles Skelton, farmer and wheelwright, of Ealand, on 25th July…..

There was a cross summons taken out by Batty against Skelton, also for assault.

Mr. Williamson (for complainant) stated that the parties had an action on the date in question in the Thorne County Court. The assault complained of was the sequel. Both parties had to drive home after the action was settled. Skelton and three witnesses were in a trap, and when at the Station Hotel, they pulled up for a drink. Batty followed them into the hotel, and said to Skelton, “It would have paid us both better to have settled it up at the time.” “A very wise remark,” said Mr. Williamson. Equally wise was the reply that “You ought to have thought of that before.” After a storm of words, the parties again drove off. At the Black Bull, Batty again drove up behind Skelton. The latter remained in his trap, and ordered drinks to be brought out. Batty, however, without the slightest provocation, went up to the trap, and with the remark that he would “kill him,” struck Skelton twice in the face. Skelton put his arm up to ward off the blow, but Batty, with his whipstock, struck him several more blows with it in a violent manner. A man named Kelsey came up and accused Skelton of striking Batty. This was not true, as Skelton had never attempted to strike him or even retaliate, only remarking, Now my boy, you’ll have to pay for this.” Batty replied, ”You can’t get anything out of me; I haven’t got anything.” Skelton was subsequently attended by Dr. Alexander, who unfortunately was away in Scotland at present.

Mr. Skelton, having borne out the opening statement, in cross examination said he had never had a black eye before.

Mr. Andrews (for defendant): You wanted to fight Kelsey, didn’t you, and practically everyone else in the street? – No; my character is better known than that.

Harry Shillito, rope manufacturer, and Tom Haller, brickmaker, corroborated.

Thomas Holgate, who was a little deaf, said he distinctly heard Batty threaten Skelton, and also saw him strike him four times with the whipstock.

Mr Andrews, for Batty, said the whole matter arose through the friendly overtures of his client to stand drinks after the County Court action being repulsed by Skelton, first by a shove, and followed by a blow.

Batty, being called, stated that after the litigation in the County Court, when at the first public-house, he said to Skelton, “Now let us have a drink, and we can be as good friends as ever.” Skelton said he did not want to speak to him, and pushed him away. This was followed up by a blow, and he retaliated. He had not a whipstock with him, only a small cane, which he did not use.

George Kelsey said Skelton first tried to make a quarrel with him (witness), and tried to drive past him with his old pony 39 years old – (laughter).

Several other witnesses having been called, the magistrates dismissed both summonses, both parties ordered to pay their own costs.

1907 Aug 31st
A correspondent says:” Mr. F. Wroot, of the South Yorkshire Hotel, Crowle Wharf, having a donkey on whose back it was difficult to remain for more than five minutes, has, at last, found a rider in a seafaring man, the captain of the “Lord Kitchener,” of London, having ridden the animal for seven minutes, and then called off.

On Thursday afternoon, an old man, who had various hawker goods, was found badly hurt upon the road near the mill between Haxey and Burnham, by Ald. Stephenson. It appeared the man was riding a tricycle down the hill when it overturned, and he was thrown to the ground. He was removed to Gainsborough.

1907 Aug 31st
Vaccination Exemption Certificates were granted to George Henry Hackney, of Belton; Alfred Parkinson, of Crowle; and Arthur Scutt, of Bagsby.

A warrant was issued against Charles Dawson, of Haxey, who failed to appear an answer to a charge of stealing a bicycle belonging to Robert Keightley, on August 26th, and also against a witness named Hornsby who failed to appear.

William Smith, of Crowle, was charged with not having proper control over his horse and cart, on August 13th. Inspector Skipworth stated that he watched the horse standing unattended outside the St. Oswald Arms for 30 minutes. Defendant said he had left a lad with the horse, and was not aware that he had left it. Fined 1/- and costs 4/6.

Naylor Shaw, of Crowle, was charged with being drunk and disorderly, at Crowle, on the 24th inst. Inspector Skipworth said the man was shouting and swearing. This, it was stated, was his second appearance this year, and a fine of 5/- and costs 4/6 was imposed.

Charles Cawkwell, of Keadby, was fined 2/6 and costs 4/6 for using obscene language, at Keadby, on the 19th inst. Pc Jinks proved the case. Defendant said he suffered at times with a pain in his head, and was then excited. – George Fox, of Haxey, was fined 2/6 and costs 4/6, for using obscene language, at Haxey, on August 24th. Pc Lincoln proved the case.

Thomas Hepworth, of Keadby, was fined 2/6 and costs 4/6, for being drunk on licensed premises, at Keadby, on the 24th inst. He went to the South Yorkshire Hotel, but was refused drink, and went home when ordered by Pc Jinks.

James Crawshaw, of Garthorpe, was summoned for the irregular attendance of his child at school. Defendant said he had not had work, and had sent the boy pea pulling. He stated that other people were doing the same thing, but were not summoned. The Chairman reminded him that “two wrongs did not make a right,” and imposed a fine of 5/- including costs. He, however, had only 4/9, which was accepted.

Charles Birtwistle, of Haxey, was fined 2/6 and costs for being drunk and disorderly, at Haxey, on the 24th inst. Pc Lincoln proved the case.

William Pepper, of Epworth, was summoned for allowing his dog to stray, and was ordered to pay the costs.

1907 Aug 31st
On Wednesday, the children attending the Church Sunday School and Day School had their annual treat. After attending a short service in the church, the scholars, numbering 260, were taken for a long ride round the town. Tea was provided in the Market Hall, after which an adjournment was made to Mrs. Savage’s field where games were taken part in by both old and young. The following presided and rendered assistance at the tea: Mrs. Sanderson, Mrs. N Brunyee, Mrs A Drinkall, Misses Kendal, Firth, Savage, Kirby, Cranidge, Staniforth, Silverwood, Blackbourn, A Moore, E Goodison, Wainwright, Mrs. Dicks, and Messrs W Sanderson, Smith, C Richardson, T Dicks, and A Wilson. Those who provided conveyances were Messrs Hill & Son, G Dyson, J Flinton, A Till, C Birkinshaw, and H Tune, whose kindness was much appreciated.

1907 Aug 31st
William Mason, of Crowle, was again summoned for not sending his son to school. The defendant gave his interpretation of the law, which showed the lad to be exempt, but it differed from that of the Magistrates, who imposed a fine of 5/- and costs….. – John Jaques, of Haxey; Thomas Dooley, of Ewesters; were fined 5/- including costs for like offences. Ernest Severn, Owston (two children), was fined 6d. in each case, and costs 4/6.

1907 Aug 31st
GARDEN PARTY On Wednesday last a very successful garden party was held at Tithe House, the residence of Mr. Wm Wainman. A splendid tea, generously given by Mr. Wainman, was provided on the lawn, and a large company sat down. The trays were presided over by Mrs. Brunyee, Mrs. Staniforth, Mrs. Burkill, and Miss Curtiss, who were ably assisted by Miss Moore, Miss M Staniforth, Miss Wilson, and Mrs. Shaw. After tea games were played, vocal items given at intervals by Miss Curtis, Mr Wainman, Mr. J Ramary, and others, and recitations by Miss Eyre. The proceeds amounted to £3/6/-, and were for the Wesleyan trust funds.

1907 Sep 7th
At Epworth Police Court, on Tuesday, before T J Blaydes, Esq., and W Standring, Esq., Emma Robinson, of Crowle, was charged with stealing a pint bottle of stout from the dram shop at the Fishmongers’ Arms, on the previous day.

Joseph Outibridge, landlord of the Fishmongers’ Arms, deposed that about 10a.m., on the day in question, he filled the shelves in the dram shop with bottled beer and stout. About 11a.m., the prisoner came to the house and asked for a half pint of beer in a bottle. He asked her if she had a bottle. She replied, “no,” and he refused to serve her. At about 11.30a.m., he left the dram shop to go into the kitchen for a few minutes, and on returning saw the prisoner standing near the entrance to the dram shop. She asked to be supplied with a pint of beer in a bottle which she produced, and he served her. Shortly afterwards he missed a pint bottle of stout from off the shelf in the dram shop. Suspecting prisoner, he went in search of her, and being unable to find her reported the matter to the police. He valued the stout at 4d.

Inspector Skipworth said that from the information received, he visited the Fishmongers’ Arms bout 3p.m., and on making an inspection of the place, noticed a woman’s footprint on some boards which had recently been scrubbed, opposite from the place from which the stout was missing. Robinson was suspected, and he went in search of her and found her in High Street, begging of foot passengers. He told her a bottle of stout was missing from a shelf at the Fishmongers’ Arms, and he suspected her of taking it. As she denied all knowledge of it, he took her back to the Fishmongers’ Arms, and showed her the footprint on the board, and on comparing her left boot with the mark, found it corresponded. He then charged her with theft, and conveyed her to the Police Station. She subsequently admitted having stolen the stout, and said she was sorry. The empty stout bottle, produced, he found in the Crowle Churchyard.

A fine of 5/- and 7/6 costs was imposed, the Chairman remarking that they were sorry to see prisoner in her present position, but if she appeared again she would have to go to prison.

1907 Sep 7th
The monthly meeting of this Council on Thursday was presided over by Mr. Wm Standring. The other members present were Ald. Stephenson, Messrs A Kelsey, W Smith, T J Belton, W A Ross, A Taylor (clerk), W E Burrows (assistant clerk), and Dr. Messiter (Medical Officer).

The committee appointed to inspect various nuisances in Epworth recommended that certain necessary work should be done, and this report was accepted.

Mr. Smith complained of the habit of people throwing dirty water upon the road at Althorpe and Keadby, thereby creating a nuisance.

The surveyor reported the roller had been at work in Belton parish 19 days and in Althorpe 2 days, but that owing to the harvest the roller would be idle during the present month. He had instructed the workmen to obtain harvest work, if possible.

Mr. Smith said the men could well be spared from the roads as, in their district, they had less traffic since the Light Railway had been in existence, many of the villages having stations in their own locality.

The Medical Officer reported three cases of scarlet fever at Althorpe, and a case of typhoid fever at Epworth, the latter being contracted outside the district.

Mr. Stephenson said that many cases of scarletina existed in Althorpe and Keadby. The day schools had recently been closed, and also the Sunday Schools, with the exception of the Church Sunday Schools, the Rector being of the opinion that it was not infectious.

Mr. Smith said he believed that such cases were contracted from trippers, which were numerous. Plans for a new house in Epworth, belonging to Mr. F Waite, were approved and passed.

1907 Sep 14th
EPWORTH PETTY SESSIONS – Assaulting an Old Man.
Thomas Amery and Richard Winter, both of Crowle, were charged with assaulting Thomas Sharp, at Crowle, on Aug 29th.

Complainant said he was proceeding home at 11p.m. on the day in question, when the defendants walked alongside him, and asked him if he had a mule bird to sell. They also commenced to annoy him by saying he could not catch birds, and attempting to throw him down. They eventually did knock him down near the Fleet, one of them striking and kicking him while the other held him, and he shouted for help. They went away, and afterwards returned, and then they said they had not hurt him. Thomas Kitson said that he opened his bedroom window, and saw three men upon the ground, and he also saw the defendants knock Sharp down twice. He shouted to let the old man go. Sophia Dale said she saw the affair, and told the men to let Sharp go. They gave him his cap, and he walked away. Inspector Skipworth gave evidence as to the man’s condition after the assault. The defendants contended that an argument arose, and they pushed Sharp off the footpath in self defence. They were not drunk. The Bench thought it a very cowardly attack upon the old man, and inflicted a fine of 10/- and costs upon each defendant.

1907 Sep 14th
Maria Grant, of Beltoft, was charged with assaulting Blanche Barker, also of Beltoft, on August 20th. Complainant stated that the defendant went to her window and threatened to strike her. She then went inside and assaulted her. They had a quarrel the previous day. Witness did not throw any boots or a bottle at the defendant as she stated, but the bottle accidentally fell out of her hand while at the window. There was a cross summons taken out by Grant, for whom Mr. Newborn appeared.. He called Charles Godfrey and Herbert Grant, who corroborated the evidence of his client, as to Barker having been the cause of the trouble, by striking the first blow, after which a scuffle followed. The Magistrates were of the opinion that the woman Barker was the aggressor, and inflicted a fine of 1/- and costs 4/6, and dismissed the case against Grant.

1907 Sep 14th
Vaccination Exemption Certificates were granted to Henry Benjamin Hazelton, Annie Scott, Elizabeth Webster, and Mary Kate Gelder, of Crowle; Walter Snowden, of Epworth; Fanny Jacklin, Keadby; and Mary Exton, of Owston Ferry.

Thomas Gravill, of Epworth, was charged with using obscene language, at Haxey, on the 30th August. Fined 2/6 and 4/6 costs.

Highway Cricketers. – Clifford Sherwood, Albert Cox, Sidney Thrussell, all of Crowle, youths, were charged with playing cricket on the Cross Hill, Crowle, on August 29th. Inspector Skipworth said he had received complaints as to these lads playing cricket on the highway, and when he went to them they ran away. The lads promised not to repeat the offence, and were dismissed on payment of costs, 10d. each.

A Daring Cyclist. – Percy Twidale, of West Butterwick, was fined 1/- and 4/6, for riding a cycle without a light, at Belton, at 10.30p.m. on August 30th.

Drunk. – Henry Breeze, of West Butterwick, was fined 2/6 and costs 4/6, for being drunk on September 2nd. Pc Smith and Jinks had to assist him home as he was helplessly drunk.

School Case. – Thomas Gelder, of Crowle, was fined 5/- including costs, for not sending his child regularly to school, it having made 19 attendances out of a possible 77.

The Motor Car. – William Blamernes, an Harrowgate gentleman, was summoned for obstructing the highway in High Street, Crowle, on September2nd, by leaving his car thereon for 30 minutes. As the road is narrow at the point where the car was standing it was considered dangerous, and as he did not appear the case was adjourned for a fortnight.

A case against John Rollinson, of Owston, under the Dogs’ Act, was also adjourned for his appearance.

1907 Sep 28th
On Monday last, a sad accident befell Mr. Richard Fox, who is employed by Mr. W Selby, Newland Farm, as farm labourer. It appeared that the old man, who is about 70 years of age, had been picking sheaves upon the corn stack, and when the stack was about completed, he attempted to get upon the ladder, but accidentally fell to the ground. He was attended by Dr Messiter, and afterwards removed to his home in Epworth, where he now lies in a critical condition.

1907 Sep 28th
Vaccination Exemption Certificates were granted to Giles Barlow, Wroot; George Pettinger, Westwoodside; Ernest Harris, and Annie Bradley, Haxey; Heywood, Beltoft; Frederick Pilsworth, Epworth; J R Leggott and Annie Glew, Belton.

David Gravill, for being drunk at Epworth, was fined 5/- and costs; John Brown, or “Derby Jack,” 5/- and costs, for being drunk, and the case of Richard Yates adjourned for his appearance.

William Everatt, of Gunthorpe, was fined 5/- and costs 9/6, for using obscene language, at Haxey, on September 10th.

George Jaques, of Haxey, for riding without a light; Henry Birkinshaw, a sailor, and John Rollinson, of Owston, for dogs straying, were each fined 1/- and costs 4/6.

Arthur Procter, of Owston, was fined 2/6 and costs 4/6, for not giving an alarm when passing a foot passenger, which happened to be the wife of a Police Constable, at Owston, on September 18th. Witness stated that he caught her arm with his machine when passing, and also the perambulator with the pedal of the machine.

George Pettinger, of Westwoodside, was fined 1/- and costs 4/6. For his dog not having a collar upon it, when on the highway, and Thomas Raper, of Thorne, 1/- and costs 4/6, for his dog having a collar bearing the name of the previous owner.

Benjamin Sykes, of Crowle, was fined 5/- and costs 4/6, for being drunk, at Crowle, on the 22nd inst….. R Oldfield was fined 10/- and costs, for a like offence; and Samuel Autey, for being drunk on the 18th inst., 5/- and costs 4/6, or 7 days. He asked for time to pay, and this was refused, as he had not paid a previous fine.

1907 Oct 12th
Vaccination Exemption Certificates were granted to Alfred Burrell, of Haxey; Ernest Pilsworth, Epworth; Henry Cundall, Dirtness Bridge, the latter stating that his wife objected, which the Bench thought was a good excuse; Annie Benson and Alice Kirk, of Belton; and Harry Davey, Ealand.

Samuel Barrowcliff, of Westwoodside, was charged with persistent cruelty to his wife, Francis Barrowcliff, who left him on September 16th. She also applied for an order under the Summary Jurisdiction (Married Woman) Act. Complainant stated her husband struck her in the face and threw her out, along with her clothes, while she was preparing to go to work. He had many times previously assaulted her, and she had suffered in consequence. He had also on several occasions threatened her with a gun. She had four children, and the furniture belonged to her….. an order of separation was made…..

1907 Oct 19th
On Monday, charges of drunkenness and larceny were heard against John Sweeney, John Hughs, Thos Howarth, Thos Green, and Thos Hanson. The offences were committed at Crowle, Eastoft, and Luddington. Hughs paid a fine and costs totalling 6s., and the others were all committed for seven days. – Matthew Wagstaff, labourer, Haxey, was fined 2/6 and costs 5/- for being drunk and disorderly. He was taken into custody because he refused to go away.

On Monday, John Crossland, of Retford, boatman, was brought up in custody charged with being drunk and disorderly, and also assaulting Pc Lincoln, at Haxey. The evidence showed that he and some companions were intoxicated, and creating a disturbance, when the constable requested them to go away. He refused, and being arrested, became violent, kicking the constable several times and fracturing one of his middle fingers in two places. The Magistrates regarded the case as a serious one, which should be dealt with by a full Bench, and he was remanded on bail.

1907 Oct 26th
Harry Hill, lodging-house keeper, Epworth, was fined 1/- and costs 3/6, for allowing a dog to be at large after specified hours in the evening.

Robert Schofield and Matthew Wagstaff, of Haxey, were charged with stealing a bundle of celery, value 1/-, the property of Thos. Haywood, at Haxey, on the 21st inst. Complainant said that on the 21 inst., he was taking up celery in a field on Graizelound road, and at night left several bundles packed up. On the following morning he noticed that an exceptionally large bundle was missing. – Samuel Pashley stated that on the evening in question about 10p.m., he met the defendants, and noticed Schofield carrying something under his arm. Pc Lincoln said he went to the prisoner who admitted the offence, and recovered the celery from the homes of the defendants. Schofield pleaded guilty, but Wagstaff stated that he did not go into the field, but took half the celery from Schofield. The Bench were satisfied that both were equally guilty, and inflicted a fine of 10/- and costs in each case or 14 days.

Fred Spencer, of Haxey, was charged with being drunk and disorderly, at Haxey, on the 13th October. Pc Lincoln proved the case, and stated that while he was arresting a prisoner, who was violent, the defendant refused to obtain a conveyance, but encouraged the prisoner to resist. – Fined 5/- and costs. – John Stocks, of Haxey, was also fined 10/- and costs for a similar offence at the same time and place. This defendant advised the prisoner to strike the constable. Albert Wright gave corroborative evidence.

George Picksley, of Crowle, was fined 1/- and costs 3/6, for riding a cycle without a light, at Crowle, on the 8th inst. Pc Fox proved the case.

Henry Middleton, of Crowle, was fined 5/- and costs, for being drunk, at Crowle, on the 14th inst. Inspector Skipworth proved the case. He stated it was his birthday celebration.

1907 Nov 2nd
Alleged Housebreaking – Frederick Brown, an ex soldier, was charged with housebreaking at Mr T Ridgill’s, Westwoodside. The constable stated that he had received information that the prisoner had been in possession of some of the stolen property, and he was therefore remanded until Thursday, and was then discharged.

Stack Fire – William Plowes, a farm servant at Starr Carr Farm, Haxey, was remanded on a charge of setting fire to a stack of oats in the yard of Mrs Bird, at Westwoodside. Fortunately the fire, which occurred on Sunday night, was got under before a great amount of damage was done. The evidence of John Thomas Whitehead and Pc Lincoln was to the effect that prisoner, with Whitehead and William Moody, left the Carpenters’ Arms, Westwoodside, on Sunday. Near Moody’s house Plowes left his companions, who, after having a few minutes conversation near Moody’s gate, noticed a flash of fire on the east side of Mrs Bird’s stackyard, whither they went and gave the alarm. The fire was got out before much damage had been done. Whitehead said they did not see prisoner. Pc Lincoln went to Starr Carr Farm about 12 o’clock on Sunday night, and having roused prisoner, who was in bed, charged him with the offence, and prisoner replied, “All right.” Prisoner stated that he said to the constable when charged, “All right; I did not do it.” He was brought up on remand on Thursday, when further evidence was given as to a cast of footprints being identical with the prisoner’s boots, especially the left one, which was worn at the heel and toe. The distance between the strides varied considerably, which the witnesses thought was an indication that the man had been running. In answer to the charge, prisoner said, “I have not done it, as I have not anything against Mrs Bird to cause me to do such a thing.” He was committed to take his trial at the next Assizes, bail being offered.

A Dangerous Position – John Simpson, of Haxey, was, on Sunday night, found drunk and incapable upon the doorstep of Superintendent Spofforth, at the Police Station, Epworth. The Superintendent heard the man making a noise, and went out to him, but finding that he was incapable, he locked him up. The Magistrates discharged the prisoner on his promising not to appear before them again.

1907 Nov 9th
James Crawshaw, of Garthorpe, was charged with using obscene language, at Garthorpe, on October 13th. Pc Westoby said the man had his coat off, and used some bad language. His defence was that he had been annoyed by a neighbour. Fined 2/6 and costs 4/6.

Cyril Thompson, of Epworth, labourer, was charged with doing wilful damage to an engine belonging to Francis Richard Bowman, at Burnham, on the 1st inst……. On November 1st, they were threshing at Burnham, and defendant did not go to work, but went to the village inn. In the afternoon he went to the machine and asked complainant if he could start work the following morning as ‘band cutter.’ Mr Bowman told him he would have to start at ordinary work. He then went away, and when they left work at night they damped down the fire, and left the boiler filled with water. On the following morning, they found that the water had been let off, and the damper tampered with. The defendant had told several witnesses that if he did not start work, he would see that others did not. Although considerable damage was done, which he had placed at a low estimate £2, the complainant did not wish to press the case. -–The defendant, who pleaded guilty, was committed to prison for one calendar month with hard labour, without the option of a fine, which, the Chairman remarked, would have been more severe, had the complainant pressed the case, as it was a most serious case.

John Walker, of Keadby, was fined 15/- and costs 4/6, for being drunk and incapable at Keadby, on October 12th. Defendant said he took the whiskey as a medicine for a cold.

Harold Sprakes, of Thorne, was fined 1/- and costs 4/6, for not having proper control over his dog, which was found at Althorpe, by Pc Jinks.

William Hazelgrove, a stranger, was charged with stealing from the premises of Thomas William Waterland, North Street, Crowle, November 3rd, a coat, spectacles in a case, and a handkerchief. Complainant….. went with Inspector Skipworth to Mr Ireland’s farm at Bodgem, where they saw the prisoner, who denied having been at Crowle, but on being searched the spectacles were found upon him, and he then stated that he found them on the footpath in Crowle on the previous evening….. committed for two calendar months.

Miss Louisa Foster and the Rev. W A Eyre, Crowle, were summoned for non-payment of a portion of their poor rates, due to the Overseers of Crowle. Mr Eyre, speaking on behalf of Miss Foster and himself, said: “We have deducted a portion of the educational rate as a protest against the law which requires us to pay for certain religious teaching in which we do not believe. E also protest against being compelled to support schools over which the public have no real and effective control. Insuch schools, for the most part, the children of Nonconformists have little or no chance of entering the teaching profession, and if they do enter have little prospect of promotion – although every penny of the teachers’ salaries is derived from the rates and taxes, to which all must contribute – irrespective of creed. Having made this protest, and in view of the Government’s promise of an amendment of the Act of 1902, we are prepared to pay the amount due from us to the court.”

1907 Nov 9th
BLACKMAIL ALLEGED – Successful Alibi at Gainsborough.
At the Gainsborough Police Court, on Tuesday, Frances King, domestic servant, brought a charge of assault against William Hardwick, of Trent Hall, Owston, and formally of Knaith Hall, Gainsborough…..

The complainant, who is past her girlhood, stated that on October 4th she had occasion to go to an outhouse in the garden of Miss Wright, of Knaith, with whom she was employed, when the defendant came over the fence, followed her into the outhouse, and assaulted her in a manner which she described.

A waggoner and a lad spoke to seeing defendant speaking to the girl on the date named….. they adhered to the story and to the date.

During further examination-in-chief the girl stated that defendant asked her to put the blame on someone else, and he would come over and settle the matter with her. She also stated that on a previous occasion she had met defendant on the highway, and he had then assaulted her.

Mr Neal (for defence) questioned her as to why she did not take action for a more serious offence, and the answer was that defendant told her he wanted the matter kept quiet.

Mr Neal characterised the case as a deliberate attempt to extort blackmail. He put the defendant into the box, and a complete denial was made. Defendant also swore that on the date named and at the time stated he was at Epworth.

William Copeman, landlord of the Red Lion Hotel, stated defendant was at his hotel at Epworth at the time of the offence was alleged to have taken place.

The Bench dismissed the case.

1907 Nov 16th
At the Epworth Police Court on Saturday….. George Smith (22), a gipsy, was charged with stealing from a field belonging to James Logan, a resident of Luddington, on October 24th, a set of springs, an axle, and a pair of wheels. Complainant, in whose field the prisoner and others were staying, had been from home, and on his return missed the goods mentioned. He gave information to Inspector Skipworth, who saw the lad, and found that he had converted the wheels etc., into a hand-cart, and he therefore arrested him. Prisoner pleaded guilty, and was committed for 14 days hard labour.

1907 Nov 23rd
On Saturday, at Mr Stevenson’s house, Brumby, Mr P Gamble, district coroner, held an inquiry into the circumstances attending the death of Roland Sydney Powell, aged 8 years, the son of Mr Belton Powell, cottager, of Old Brumby. From the evidence of a little girl, Rosa Thompson, it seemed the children were playing on Friday afternoon, and had picked up some field beans. Rosa was chasing the deceased boy, and he stumbled. She caught him on the legs with a coat she had in her hand, and he started laughing. It is supposed that the bean he had in his mouth then became fast in his throat. He was taken in a trap to Dr Tennant’s at Scunthorpe. The doctor, in his evidence, said he knew the boy’s mother had an aversion to operations, and so he decided to follow them back to Old Brumby and operate on the boy at home. When he got there, however, very shortly afterwards, the boy was dead. The doctor was questioned by the jury as to why he did not try the operation at the surgery, but he said it was because he was thinking of the mother, and he did not anticipate fatal consequences. The verdict was accidental death.

1907 Nov 23rd
Edgar Bailey, of Epworth, was charged with letting-off fireworks, at Epworth, on the 5th November. Pc Hencher said he saw the defendant and other youths letting-off fireworks on the footpath at the steps of the Temperance Hall. – Cecil Jefferson and Fred Gledhill, of Owston, were charged with a similar offence, at Owston, on the 5th inst. They were dealt with under the First Offenders Act, and dismissed on bail being secured. – A warrant was issued against William Morton, of Owston, for a like offence, and he having failed to appear.

Thomas Baxter, of Crowle, was charged with being drunk and disorderly, at Crowle, on the 5th inst. Pc Hicks said the man was too drunk to take care of himself, and he therefore took him home. Fined 5/- and costs 4/6.

Alfred Griffith, a stranger, and Winter Oades, of Crowle, were charged with fighting in the Market Place, Crowle, on the 16th inst. Pc Woodcock proved the case…..

Harold Ward, of Epworth, John Widowson, of Ewesters, were charged with fighting, at Crowle, on the 16th inst. Pc Woodcock proved the case. The parties said they were settling their differences. The Chairman advised them to settle such difficulties in another place, and they were each fined 2/6 and costs.

William Henry Markham, of Scunthorpe, was charged with using obscene language, on the football field, at Althorpe, on November 9th. – John Ford stated that on the day in question he was at a football match at Althorpe, when Markham, who had accompanied the Scunthorpe team, made use of the language complained of, which caused the match to be abandoned. A fine of 10/- and costs, or 14 days was imposed.

Robert Sieley, of Crowle, was summoned for being drunk and disorderly, at Crowle, on the 5th inst., but as he did not appear, a warrant was issued.

1907 Nov 23rd
BIRTH – On October 30th, at Mound City, Kansas, U.S.A., the wife of Mr Tom North, late of Crowle, of a son.

1907 Dec 7th
Arthur Weddall, of Crowle, was charged with being drunk and disorderly, at Crowle, on the 12th November. Inspector Skipworth said he had a complaint from defendant’s mother as to his conduct at home. He afterwards saw him coming out of a public house. He was fined 5/- and costs 4/6.

John William Chapman, of Belton, was charged with assaulting Elizabeth Drakes, at Belton, on November 25th. The complainant said that she attempted to prevent defendant striking another youth, when he struck her. Chapman said she got in the way when he struck at the youth, Hunt, and she accidentally got the stroke. She had asked him to pay her 5 days wages in settlement, but he refused. Case dismissed.

John Whiteley, of Crowle, was fined 2/6 and costs, for using obscene language, at Crowle, on November 23rd. Pc Hicks said he refused to give his name, and ran away. He pleaded guilty.….

John Oxborough and Walter Ingham, of Wroot, were charged with not having lights upon their drays, at 5.45p.m. on November 20th. Pc Lincoln stated that the men said the owner wouldn’t find them lamps. Fined 1/- and costs.

William Morton, of Owston, a boy, was charged with letting-off fireworks, on November 5th. He was dealt with under the First Offenders’ Act, and dismissed.

Benjamin Sykes, of Crowle Wharf, was charged with being drunk, at Crowle Wharf, on November 20th. Inspector Skipworth he was creating a disturbance outside a room where a concert was being held and witnesses ordered him away….. Fined 7/6 and costs 4/6.

1907 Dec 7th
The wedding took place at the Roman Catholic Church, Crowle, on Saturday, of Mr John William Bassindale, of Belton, and Miss Bertha DelaHunty, of Eastoft. The bride, who was attired in a navy blue costume and hat to match, had Miss Florence Dyson (Crowle) and Miss Eleanor Gibbons (Eastoft) as bridesmaids, the best man being Mr Frank Ferry (Eastoft), and the groomsman Mr Herbert Dyson (Crowle). The Rev W M Smith officiated at the ceremony.

1907 Dec 7th
A very fashionable wedding took place at the Crowle Wesleyan Chapel on Monday morning last, before a large company of spectators, the parties concerned being Mr Alfred Morton Inkley, of Donnington, near Spalding, and Miss Annie Thompson, younger daughter of Mr Jacob Thompson, of Crowle. The bride, who was given away by her father, looked very attractive in a pretty fawn dress, trimmed with champagne silk and insertions, and a white silk hat. The bridesmaids were Misses M and E Inkley (sisters of the bridegroom) who were attired in grey costumes, white silk blouses and heliotrope hats, and Miss Annie Thompson (niece of the bride) who wore a bonny little frock of green velvet, trimmed with cream lace and silk, and bonnet to match. Mr Will Thompson, (brother of the bride) acted as best man, and Mr Will Markham (nephew of the bride) as pageboy, the later wearing a blue Norfolk suit, with hat to match. The ceremony was performed by the Rev F H Naylor, who was assisted by the Rev L Clough. As the wedding party entered the Church, Lohengrin’s bridal march was played on the organ by Miss A Leeman, and the service, which was fully choral, was opened with the hymn “The voice that breathed o’er Eden.” During the ceremony the 67th Psalm was read by the Rev L Clough. As the register was being signed the strains of Mendelssohn’s wedding march filled the church. The guests afterwards assembled at the home of the bride and partook of wedding breakfast, after which Mr and Mrs Inkley left Crowle Town Station by the 1.55p.m. train, en route for Manchester, where the honeymoon is being spent, the bride wearing a brown travelling dress, with hat to match. The happy couple were recipients of many costly and handsome presents. Mr Hill & Sons, of the White Hart Livery Stables, supplied the wedding carriages.

1907 Dec 14th
Those who are interested in Piano and Violin playing, have now the opportunity offered to join Mr Burtonshaw’s classes, particulars of which are given in advertisement.

At the request of several customers, I am keeping my great offer of Cord Trousers to measure at 7/-, open until the end of the year.– Sargeantson, Corner Shop.

A correspondent writes: “A turnip has this year been grown in a field belonging to Ald. Stephenson at Althorpe, weighing 1 stone 3 ½ lbs., and measuring 36 inches.

At the Parish Institute a Billiard Handicap is now in full swing. The first prize is a Guinea Cue and Case, specially made to suit the winner, presented by Messrs Riley, the makers of the new table recently installed there.

The team chosen to represent Crowle at Althorpe on Saturday, will be selected from the following: A Poppleton, D Cranidge, Brown, Howley, Belton, Leggott, B Cranidge, H Burtonshaw, Colebrook, Cranidge, P Whiteley, Maw, and Marshall.

At Crowle Police Court, on Friday, James Miller and George Howard, rough-looking tramps, were each committed for 14 days, for begging, at Crowle, on Thursday. Inspector Skipworth and Pc Hicks proved the case.

A deed of arrangement with creditors has been filed by Mrs Anna Rebecca Oates, of Spen Lea, Crowle Wharf, farmer. Secured creditors, £250; liabilities unsecured, £1,767 7s 6d.; estimated net assets, £2,138 10s. 9d. Filed December 4th. Trustee, Joseph H Glover, Doncaster.

That a perambulator may be used for purposes not so lawful as the conveyance of babies was remembered by Pc Charles Johnson, of the Doncaster Borough Force, on the 3rd inst., when, in Hall Gate, he searched a perambulator in the charge of a woman named Briggs, and found concealed therein three dead rabbits, a net, and a game bag. Last Monday, Mrs Briggs appeared before the Magistrates on a charge of aiding and abetting poachers, and was fined 5/- and costs.

At Crowle Police Court, on Monday, before W Coulman, Esq., George Banks, of Nottingham, was charged with begging on Godnow Road, on Saturday. Inspector Skipworth proved the case. When searched a quantity of unbroken food was found in his possession. He admitted being in nearly every prison in England, and said he should not work while people gave him food. Committed for 14 days. – John Day, of Leeds, was charged with begging at Broad Fleet, Crowle, on Saturday. Pc Hicks arrested him. Prisoner admitted having been convicted on several occasions, and should not work if people would give him food. Committed for 14 days.

The concert to be given in the Market Hall on Tuesday evening next is expected to be an exceedingly good one. The principal artistes are Mr Charles McLean and Mr Billy Richardson. The fact that each purchaser of a ticket is entitled to enter for a Limerick prize should also prove a great attraction.

1907 Dec 14th
NARROW ESCAPE What might have been a most serious accident befell a young railway porter named Fred Raper, at Crowle, on Saturday last, as he was cycling along a bank to New Farm. When speaking to a postman named W Arrand, who was passing, his cycle skidded, and he was precipitated head foremost down the bankside. But for the intervention of some briars, which somewhat checked his fall, both the youth and his machine would most certainly have landed in the drain, which at this point is very deep. Arrand immediately went to Raper’s assistance, and found him lying head downwards, close to the water’s edge, with the bicycle laid on top of him.

1907 Dec 14th
COURSING MATCH On Monday last, through the kindness of Mr T J Belton, jun., a very good day’s sport was provided for lovers of coursing, on his estate, at Amcotts, and the weather being fine those present witnessed some fine sport, the dogs being in good form. Hares were plentiful and in good condition. The winners were:
Hook Stakes: 1 Halkon, 2 Oldfield; Manor Stakes: 1 G Hather, 2 Isle, 3 Poskett. Puppy Stakes: 1 G Hather, 2 Staples. The unbiased decision of Mr W F Glasier, in whose hands were placed the onerous duties of judging, were thoroughly characteristic of the authority on coursing he is well known to be.

1907 Dec 21st
Temporary authority to sell at the Steamboat Inn, Meredyke, until the next transfer day, was granted to Thomas John Autey.

Charles Cawkwell, of Keadby, for being drunk and disorderly, at Keadby, on December 10th, was fined 7/6 and costs. He had paid three previous visits this year, and his excuse for this offence was that he was celebrating his birthday.

John Schofield, of Belton, was charged with not having proper control over his horses, which were attached to a wood dray, at Belton, on December 6th. He said he just jumped upon the vehicle to get his coat, and the Chairman informed him that he had better have done this when the constable was not near him. Fined 2/6 and costs.

Frank Campion, of Sand Hall, Crowle, was fined 1/- and costs, for allowing his dog to stray at Crowle, on the evening of December 1st.

John Robert Thompson, machinist, of Epworth, was charged with deserting his wife, Louisa Thompson, at Epworth, on the 20th April. Complainant stated that her husband had turned out the children, and locked the door. She had been attending to her mother, and he had not objected to her doing so. She had got her furniture away in his absence, and she was the tenant. She had twelve children, and her husband had not had any drink for over twelve months, and had given her less money and had been more cruel during this period. Evidence was given by the son and daughter-in-law as to his having refused to maintain complainant. – Mr Andrews, for defendant, held that there was no evidence of continuous negligence, but that the complainant had carried away nearly all the goods, and had thus caused the separation, and had stated that she would not return. – The Chairman attempted to persuade the parties to make some settlement, but this was not successful, and the Clerk then advised that the Bench had power to adjudicate on the evidence given, and a maintenance order for 5/- per week was made.

Kate Smith, of Luddington, was fined 2/6 and costs for using obscene language, at Luddington, on November 28th.

Arthur Kemp, of Keadby, was fined 1/- and costs 4/6, for allowing his dog to stray, at Keadby.

1907 Dec 28th
The dense fog on Monday and Tuesday greatly affected the Christmas railway traffic, and caused numerous accidents. The busses in this district on Tuesday evening had some difficulty in completing their journey. The one from Crowle Wharf to Belton got off the road into a dyke, but fortunately the horse was got out without any damage having been done. Three girls, named Ward, who reside near Epworth, went into the town singing carols, and when returning home across the fields, lost their way. The father and brother, assisted by the police, went in search of the children, but although they searched all night, their efforts were not successful, and the children arrived home about six o’clock on Tuesday morning. The elder girl had stripped off some of her clothing and wrapped it round the younger children.