Category: St Oswald’s Parish Church

February 15, 2014

Coat of Arms in window at the back of the church.

Coat of Arms of Sydney William Herbert Pierrepont, 3rd Earl Manvers (1825–1900). This is in a window at the back of the Church. The left hand side (dexter) of the crest is the Pierrepoint Family coat of arms and the right hand side (sinister) will be that of his wife, Georgine Jane Elizabeth Fanny de Franquetot, second daughter of Gustave, Duc de Coigny. Her coat of […]

January 1, 1970

Crowle Parish Church

At the Doomsday Survey AD 1086 there were 225 churches in Lincolnshire, one at Crowle, a simple structure dedicated to St. Oswald, King and Martyr, of Northumbria. This was replaced after the Norman Conquest by a stone building, comprising the present nave about 1150, with a later aisle. The Abbots of Selby appointed vicars from 1288 until 1527. The lower part of the tower belongs […]

January 1, 1970

St Oswald Parish Church

There was a church in Crowle at the time of the Domesday survey in 1066. It is likely that this structure was was a simple wooden structure with a rush roof. Geoffrey de Wirce, who was the first Norman Lord of the Isle of Axholme gave a quantity of land in Crowle to the Abbey of Saint Germains at Selby. The original stone church was […]