Clifton House – 12 Windsor Road

Site of Clifton House as shown on 1738 Manorial Plan.
Site of Clifton House as shown n the 1822 Enclosure Plan

1822 Crowle Enclosure Award

William Ducker awarded the plot of land, numbered 207, on Godknow Common. It would appear that they built a property on this land and used the land as a garden.

Sometime before 1841 they built another house on part of the property they were using as a garden.  It appears that the Drinkalls were already living in the property as the 1841 census shows that they were already living next door to William Ducker and his wife Elizabeth. (The date of the census was 6 June 1841 – before they had purchased the property).

1841 14th October

John Drinkall was admitted to the court in 14th October 1841 on the surrender of William Ducker and his wife Elizabeth. [From 1863 surrender]

30 March 1851 Census

John Drinkall and his wife are now living next to Sarah Ducker, who is shown as a widow and described as an Annuitant.  William Ducker’s first wife Elizabeth Wraith had died in 1847. William, who had 3 young children, married Sarah Carr in 1848. He died in 1850.

John is described as a Flax Dresser.

7th April 1861 Census

In the 1861 census John is described as a farmer of 10 acres of land.

They have a 3-year-old child, Anthony Seaton, living with them described as a boarder. John and his wife did not have any children of their own so this may have been a form of fostering. Anthony’s parents, George, a farmer, and Ann, were living in Ealand with another two children.

1863 19th May

Surrender of Land by John Drinkall, in the county of Lincoln, Farmer and his wife Elizabeth to George Campsall of The Levels, in the Parish of Hatfield in the county of York.

Property described as “That cottage or tenement with the barn, stable and outbuildings thereto adjoining erected and built upon a piece or parcel of land or ground formerly a garden on the commonside of Crowle containing in length from East to West thirty two yards and in breadth from North to South twelve yards or thereabouts bounded by the Common Road to the West by land and premises of Sarah Ducker on the south and on the East and North by the property of Earl Manvers”

John Drinkell was admitted to the court in 14th October 1841 on the surrender of William Ducker and his wife Elizabeth.

£6/15- fine

1868 20th December

Conditional Surrender

In consideration of a sum of £100 paid to George Campsall by George Liddle of Doncaster.

Property described as “That cottage or tenement divided into two dwelling houses with the barn, stable and outbuildings thereto adjoining erected and built upon a piece or parcel of land or ground formerly a garden on the commonside of Crowle containing in length from East to West thirty two yards and in breadth from North to South twelve yards or thereabouts bounded by the Common Road to the West by land and premises of Sarah Ducker on the south and on the East and North by the property of Earl Manvers and now in the possession of the said George Campsall and his tenants”

Subject to 19th June pay George Liddle

Countersigned 4th May 1901

Catherine Jane Turner Executrix appointed by the will of Eliza Turner proved in Wakefield on the 21st July 1898 and which said Eliza Turner was Executrix under he will of George Liddle who died 12th March 1895. Acknowledge receipt of all principal money and interest owing by virtue of the conditional surrender.

The conditional surrender is an early form of mortgage – my understanding is that William and John Goodchild Cundall, mentioned in the document as two customary tenants of the manor of Crowle are included because George Liddle has not been admitted to the Manor of Crowle.

2nd April 1871 Census  

John Drinkall, described as a farmer of 6 acres, wife Margaret and Anthony Seaton, again described as a lodger, appear to have moved to Crowle Moors, just beyond Newbig described as being in the West Riding of Yorkshire. By 1881 census Anthony has married. Margaret died in 1885 and John died in 1901.

George Campsall married his wife Lucy in 1856. In 1861 they are living with 1 daughter at Tudworth, near Thorne.

In 1863 they move into the property that became known as Clifton House.

3rd April 1881 Census

By this time George s described as foreman at a Tillage works.

Ordnance Survey 25” 1885

1885 Ordnance Survey Map showing Clifton House

5th April 1891

By 1891 George and his family are living at Medge Hall where he is a labourer at Peat works

I am taking a bit of a jump to conclude that Clifton House is occupied by Ann E Lee in the 1891 census, despite being described as being on Gas House Road (which would normally be the lower end of Cross Street). However, the number of properties described as being on Gas House Road seems too large. Also by 1901 the property is described in the occupation of Mrs Lee which would imply she was head of the house.

Ann Elizabeth Lee is a retired Dressmaker and is living with a daughter, Emma Woodward, four grandchildren and a lodger.

Ann’s husband William Lee was a butcher who died in 1872.

15th October 1900

George Campsall dies

31st March 1901 Census

The address of where Ann Lee is living is now shown as being Common Side.

She is living with 3 granddaughters and a son.

4th May 1901

Conditional Surrender for the £100 paid to George Campsall by George Liddle of Doncaster in 1868 is satisfied by payment to Catherine Jane Turner, daughter of George Liddle.

9th May 1901

George Campsall probate – effects pass to Lucy Campsall widow.

1901 18th May

Indenture – Deed of Appointment

Between Lucy Campsall, then of 521 Queens Road, Sheffield and Charlotte Elizabeth Chester and John Chester.

Purchase of property for a consideration of £150. Lucy Campsall executrix of George Campsall, late of Medge Hall.

Property described as “All that cottage or tenement (now divided into two dwelling houses) with the barn, stable and outbuildings thereto adjoining erected and built upon a piece or parcel of land or ground formerly a garden on the commonside of Crowle containing in length from East to West thirty two yards and in breadth from North to South twelve yards or thereabouts bounded by the Common Road to the West by land and premises late of Sarah Ducker and now of Simon Ducker on the south and on the East and North by the property of Earl Manvers and now in the occupation of Mrs Lee.”

At 1901 census Lucy is at her Daughter’s Alice Spencer in15 Goodwin Road, Sheffield.

1901 6th October

Ann Lee dies.

1907 28th November

Admission of C. E. Chester.

Charlotte Elizabeth Chester, wife of John Chester, late of Eastoft, Innkeeper but now of Crowle. By virtue of a deed of appointment date 18 May 1901 between Lucy Campsall and Charlotte Elizabeth Chester and John Chester.

Property described as “All that cottage or tenement (now as lately divided into two dwelling houses) with the barn, stable and outbuildings thereto adjoining erected and built upon a piece or parcel of land or ground formerly a garden on the commonside of Crowle containing in length from East to West thirty two yards and in breadth from North to South twelve yards or thereabouts bounded by the Common Road to the West by land and premises of Simon Ducker on the south and on the East and North by the property of Earl Manvers, lately in the occupation of Mrs Lee and now of the said John Chester and Charlotte Elizabeth Chester.”

George Campsall (deceased) was admitted on 19th May 1863.

Fine £9/17-0

Charlotte Elizabeth Chester is the daughter of George and Lucy Campsall. At the 1901 Census – Charlotte and John are at the River Don Tavern where John is the Licensee – he had previously been licensee at the Mason’s Arms in Crowle.

Hull Packet – Friday 04 February 1881

According to the register of licenses John Chester became licensee of the Mason’s arms on 11th March 1881, he relinquished it to Peter Cranidge – the pub was owned by Thomas Tune’s executors and then Fox’s brewery. He took over the River Don in Eastoft 6th July 1893

17th September 1908

WEDDING AT CROWLE The marriage took place at the Parish Church. Crowle, yesterday, of Miss Martha (Pattie) Chester, youngest daughter Mr. and Mrs. John Chester, of Clifton House. Crowle. and Mr. William James Box. Box Brothers. Ltd. cab proprietors. Castleford. third son the late Mr. George Box. of Bailey. The bride, who was given away by her father, was charmingly attired. The bride, was attended four bridesmaids—Miss Rosie Chester (sister) Miss Annie Fisher (Dewsbury, cousin the bridegroom). Miss Annie Hill (Crowle, cousin the bride) and Miss Maggie Douthwaite. Mr. Thomas Carr of Pontefract-, accompanied the bridegroom as best man. and Mr. J. L. of Wakefield, acted groomsman. There was large and fashionable gathering to witness the ceremony. The Rev. F. G. White. M.A. was the officiating clergyman. At the conclusion of the ceremony reception was held at Clifton House. The presents were numerous, and of costly character. The happy couple left later in the day for Scarbro’, where the honeymoon will be spent.

2nd April 1911 Census

1911 Inland Revenue Tax Survey

1911 IR Tax Survey

1934 30th December

Compensation Agreement Manor of Crowle

Property described as “All that cottage or tenement (now or lately divided into two dwelling houses) with the barn, stable and outbuildings thereto adjoining erected and built upon a piece or parcel of land or ground formerly a garden on the common side of Crowle aforesaid containing in length from East to West thirty two yards and in breadth from North to South twelve yards or thereabouts bounded by the Commonside Road to the West by land and premises now or late of Simon Ducker on the south and by the property now or late of Earl Manvers on the East and North, and now in the occupation of the Purchaser.

6 May 1938

John Chester Dies


22 January 1951

Charlotte Elizabeth Chester dies – executors are daughters Rosa Bosworth and Martha Box

15 April 1979

Rosa Bosworth dies – it would appear that after the death of her husband in 1945 or the death of her mother she moved back to live in Crowle as in her probate record she is described as being of Clifton House, Windsor Road Crowle.

10th August 1979

Conveyance

Between Matha Box, of 258 Bradford Road, Wakefield and Tony Askew of The Cottage, Fieldside, Crowle.

Property described as “All that cottage or tenement with the barn, stable and outbuildings thereto belonging (more particularly described in a Compensation Agreement …..) and known as Clifton House, Windsor Road, Crowle aforesaid which said property is for the purpose of identification and delineated on the plan annexed hereto and thereon edged red.”

26 June 1951 – Probate of the will of Charlotte Elizabeth Chester

14 May 1979 – Probate of the will of Rosa Bosworth




  • Leave a Reply