At the Doomsday Survey AD 1086 there were 225 churches in Lincolnshire, one at Crowle, a simple structure dedicated to St. Oswald, King and Martyr, of Northumbria. This was replaced after the Norman Conquest by a stone building, comprising the present nave about 1150, with a later aisle. The Abbots of Selby appointed vicars from 1288 until 1527.
The lower part of the tower belongs to this period, containing three bells. A richly carved doorway of Norman work gives entrance to the church. Various additions since include the chancel rebuilt in the 19th century, and the porch replacing older ones in 1903.
Items of historic interest are the Runic Stone, with symbolic carvings, seven feet high, part of a seventh century cross originally in the churchyard, now standing since 1868 within the church. [More information about the Crowle Stone]. The registers date from 1561. The nine stained glass windows are modern. The interior of the church has been enriched by many gifts this century. The three manual organ was installed in 1907, the brass eagle lectern 1920, new choir stalls 1933 and altar rail 1936.
The Lady Chapel, with screen reredos and altar was constructed in 1933.
Reservation of the Sacrament was commenced in 1942, a new high altar was installed in 1943, carved locally, as a thanks’ offering for the Allied Victory in North Africa. The new pulpit of oak, with canopy and figures of Christ reigning from the Cross, and St. Oswald, the patron saint, suitably coloured, was obtained through family contributions of deceased relatives in 1952, as was the high altar crucifix in 1957. There has been a chapel of All Souls, midway in the north aisle.
St Oswald’s is now part of the Crowle Group of Parishes, which comprises St Oswald’s Crowle, St Oswald’s Luddington, and St Mary the Virgin Garthorpe.
Sundays: 9.30 am Holy Communion or Family Service