History

Crowle’s role in the mapping of the United Kingdom

Crowle was one of the triangulation points in the first and second triangulations of Great Britain. ‘Crowle Beacon’ was used in both 1806 and 1842. In the 1806 survey station was described thus “Сrоwle station is situated about half a mile east from the village of Crowle in Lincolnshire It is on a rising ground…

Crowle Commons

  Crowle Commons on the 1738 Manorial Plan The enclosure of the open fields and commons at the beginning of the 19th century brought about a significant change to the map of Crowle and Ealand, The 1738 manorial plan and survey gives a superb insight into the layout of the open fields and commons in…

Crowle Gas Works

      Crowle Gas Works   Based on information supplied by Avril Clarke (Turner) The gas works was situated on the corner of Windsor Road and Marsh Road (the extension of Cross Street). The site is now covered by a new building – Windsor Lodge. It was established in 1854 with a capital of…

Cornelius Vermuyden

The entry for ‘Vermuyden, Cornelius’ in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 58 by Albert Frederick Pollard states that Sir Cornelius Vermuyden had a daughter, Elizabeth who married Sir Thomas Peneystone under the name of Elizabeth Fairmedow. This is not correct and is part of the ‘Fairmedow legend’ propounded when it was noticed…