Roads

Windsor

Windsor is a small hamlet within Crowle, just off Windsor Lane. It is the derivation for the names of Windsor Road, Windsor Crescent and Windsor Lane itself. Before the construction of the houses on Windsor Road it was quite a distinct settlement from Crowle itself.   The small hamlet of Windsor is within the plot…

Godnow Road

According to “The Isle of Axholme – Its place-names and river-names, John K Johnstone, 1886.” Godney Bridge, near Crowle. Godn is a contracted form of the personal name Goodwin, and the suffix ey means and island, sometimes the water which surrounded the island. On old maps the area around Godnow is shown as Godknow –…

George Stovin & Justice Hall Lane

George Stovin & Justice Hall Lane

According t the following article, Justice Hall was built in 1728 by George Stovin – the antiquary and was so named because he was a magistrate – this has nothing to do with the Manor of Crowle. A search of possible sources provides an answer in “Lincolnshire notes and queries, Volume 4” published in 1896. This…