St Oswald’s Parish Church

Crowle Parish Church

At the Doomsday Survey AD 1086 there were 225 churches in Lincolnshire, one at Crowle, a simple structure dedicated to St. Oswald, King and Martyr, of Northumbria. This was replaced after the Norman Conquest by a stone building, comprising the present nave about 1150, with a later aisle. The Abbots of Selby appointed vicars from…

Crowle Stone

The Crowle Stone, originally carved as a cross shaft, is now located to the rear of the nave in the local parish church of St Oswald. Until 1919 it was used as a lintel over the West Door. The preservation of the stone is almost certainly as a result of the Norman masons reusing it…

St Oswald Parish Church

There was a church in Crowle at the time of the Domesday survey in 1066. It is likely that this structure was was a simple wooden structure with a rush roof. Geoffrey de Wirce, who was the first Norman Lord of the Isle of Axholme gave a quantity of land in Crowle to the Abbey…