St Oswald’s Parish Church

Crowle Parish Church Archaeological Survey 2012

Summary A programme of archaeological recording was undertaken in 2010 at st Oswald’s Church Crowle during reordering works Pew platforms in the nave and north aisle were removed and replaced with flagstones flush with the existing floors. A kitchen area was installed at the west end of the north aisle. The font was moved from…

Crowle Church as described in The History and Topography of the Isle of Axholme, Stonehouse

Crowle Church as described in The History and Topography of the Isle of Axholme, Stonehouse

THE CHURCH, DEDICATED to St. Oswald, which is of Saxon origin, contains at the west end some remains of the original fabric. There is a very ancient doorway, formed by a large stone, resting on two other large stones, having on one side, some grotesque figures, carved in a very rude manner; and on the…

St Oswald’s Church, Archaeological Recording 2012

St Oswald’s Church, Crowle, North Lincs Archaeological Recording NGR: SE 9025 2552 N Lincs Museum Accn Code: CWCY Pa report no CRPCC01-PAL 2012/21 September 2012   Crowle Parish Church Archaeological Survey 2012 – Report Crowle Parish Church Archaeological Survey 2012 – Appendix 1 Crowle Parish Church Archaeological Survey 2012 – Appendix 2 Crowle Parish Church Archaeological…

Crowle Stone

The Crowle Stone, originally carved as a cross shaft, is now located to the rear of the nave in the local parish church of St Oswald. Until 1919 it was used as a lintel over the West Door. The preservation of the stone is almost certainly as a result of the Norman masons reusing it…

St Oswald Parish Church

There was a church in Crowle at the time of the Domesday survey in 1066. It is likely that this structure was was a simple wooden structure with a rush roof. Geoffrey de Wirce, who was the first Norman Lord of the Isle of Axholme gave a quantity of land in Crowle to the Abbey…