Churches

St Oswald Parish Church

There was a church in Crowle at the time of the Domesday survey in 1066. It is likely that this structure was was a simple wooden structure with a rush roof. Geoffrey de Wirce, who was the first Norman Lord of the Isle of Axholme gave a quantity of land in Crowle to the Abbey…

Crowle Parish Church

At the Doomsday Survey AD 1086 there were 225 churches in Lincolnshire, one at Crowle, a simple structure dedicated to St. Oswald, King and Martyr, of Northumbria. This was replaced after the Norman Conquest by a stone building, comprising the present nave about 1150, with a later aisle. The Abbots of Selby appointed vicars from…