Churches

Bourne Chapel – Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cross Street

The chapel and schoolroom were opened in 1862 an replaced an earlier chapel, set up in 1830, that had been located on Chapel Street. The chapel was in the following circuits at the dates indicated: Scotter Primitive Methodist Circuit 1830-1847 [Brigg Primitive Methodist Circuit 1831-1835] Epworth Primitive Methodist Circuit 1847-1877 Crowle Primitive Methodist Circuit 1877-1932…

Churches

Church of England St. Oswald’s C of E Church Crowle Church St, Crowle, North Lincolnshire DN17 4LE More Details Roman Catholic St. Norbert’s Catholic Church The Priory 37, Fieldside Crowle North Lincolnshire DN17 4HL Tel: 01724 710260 Website: http://stnorbertscrowle.org.uk   Methodist Fieldside Crowle North Lincolnshire Tel: 01724 710311

St Oswald Parish Church

There was a church in Crowle at the time of the Domesday survey in 1066. It is likely that this structure was was a simple wooden structure with a rush roof. Geoffrey de Wirce, who was the first Norman Lord of the Isle of Axholme gave a quantity of land in Crowle to the Abbey…

Crowle Parish Church

At the Doomsday Survey AD 1086 there were 225 churches in Lincolnshire, one at Crowle, a simple structure dedicated to St. Oswald, King and Martyr, of Northumbria. This was replaced after the Norman Conquest by a stone building, comprising the present nave about 1150, with a later aisle. The Abbots of Selby appointed vicars from…

St Norbert’s Roman Catholic Church

Church website: http://stnorbertscrowle.org.uk The catholic chuch dedicated to St Norbert and the blessed sacrement was built in 1872 by M. E. Hadfield & Son. Between 1872 and 1983 there was also a Priory attached to the church. It was staffed by confreres from Tongerlo Abbey, Belgium. Catholic Life Flourished (From an article in the Scunthorpe Evening…

Crowle Stone

The Crowle Stone, originally carved as a cross shaft, is now located to the rear of the nave in the local parish church of St Oswald. Until 1919 it was used as a lintel over the West Door. The preservation of the stone is almost certainly as a result of the Norman masons reusing it…