Pubs & Breweries

St Oswald, North Street – Three Horse Shoes

Closed – 1984? This pub was located opposite the Red Lion Owners 1872 George Lindley, Crowle (Register of licenses) 1883 Sarah Elizabeth Nicholson and George Thomas Nicholson, Conisborough from 7 Sep 1883 (Register of licenses) 1892 Sarah Elizabeth Nicholson and George Thomas Nicholson, Conisborough (Register of licenses ) 1903 Messrs. Nicholson, Conisborough (Register of licenses) ?  Whitworth, Son…

George & Dragon, High Street

Now demolished. The site was between Brunyee Road and the High Street Owners 1872  George Pidd (Register of licenses) ???? George Thomas & Sarah Elizabeth Nicholson (Register of licenses) 1892 George Thomas & Sarah Elizabeth Nicholson (Register of licenses) 1903 Messrs Nicholson, Conisborough (Register of licenses) ???? Whitworth, Sons & Nephew, Wath Licensees – as…

Lock, Stock & Barrel – Fishmonger’s Arms – Hunter’s Hall

The premises on Cross Street also incorporate the town assembly rooms which were constructed in 1848. Before construction of the Roman Catholic Church Mass was said in the assembly room from time to time. Owners 1872 George Robinson, Tetley, Crowle – (Register of licenses) ???? Thomas Dymond, Burntwood Hall, Barnsley – (Register of licenses) 1892 John (Thomas) Dymond,…

James Fox & Sons – Properties acquired from Thomas Tune’s Executors

An account book of James Fox lists the properties purchased in 1892. This might not be a complete list as I do not have copies of the subsequent pages. Freehold Properties and Plant Account 1892 October 1 – To Thomas Tune Excutors, (vendors) for freehold properties viz; Angel Inn, Bawtry £525 Burlington Hotel, Goole £3,000…

New Trent Brewery, Spen Lane – George Robinson Jun & Co – New Trent Brewery Co Ltd

The brewery was located beside the railway to the west of Crowle Wharf. It had its own railway siding. The site is now occupied by the food processing company Canley Packers. History  The Brewery was constructed in 1878. 14 March 1882 – Partnership between Thomas Dymond, George Robinson, the younger, and Thomas Nutt dissolved as…

Ship, Crowle Wharf

Closed – This pub existed before the railway was built (opened 1859 as the South Yorksire Railway) and its site was under what is now the station on the railway.. George Robinson also occupied, with Henry Easton, Plot 78 on the other side of the road described as “Wharf, Waste Ground, Cottage and Outbuildings, Counting-House,…

South Yorkshire Hotel, Ealand

Closed – Closed in 1970. Now a private house. This pub will have been built in the late 1850’s by the South Yorkshire Railway to replace the pub ( The Ship) which was demolished to make way for the railway. It appears that the current building is not the original as the following was reported…